Skimmer on all the time ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys i've got a coralife 125 skimmer in my 150 gallon tank. and so far i hate it, it makes tons of microbubbles. I was wondering if its okay to turn it off for a couple hours a day and then turn it back on. Because it makes so many bubbles that they start to get on my fish. Then they will rub the live rock to get bubbles off. I turn skimmer off and tank becomes crystal clear and the fish dont have micro bubbles on them.

I've tried almost everything to get the skimmer to stop making bubbles. today im going to The Home Depot to try and make my own outlet pipe to see if that helps.

Having it off for a while will not hurt anything. Personally I would look at upgrading to a better skimmer. I've heard horror stories of people trying to get them to work properly.

I run my skimmer 24/7. As mentioned above it wont hurt to put it on a schedule. Maybe you could put it on a timer and run it at nite time when the lights are off.

what brand would you recommend for skimmer? it has to be able to hang on the tank as i do not have a sump. Price is not a big issue i just want something that works good.

Octopus makes a HOB skimmer. They are very good skimmers at decent prices. Plug octopus skimmers into google and have a look.

I have a coral life 220 and it works great. How long have you had skimmer? They do have a break in period. Is the outlet tube down in the foam basket? Also how far in the water is the pump? I add another paper filter under the square foam filter. Hope this helps out.

create yourself a sump and put the skimmer in there? im having a different problem.. mine doesnt create enough bubbles lol

I hooked up one of the whisper 60 air pump and hook it up to the air slincer and skimmer took of more bubbles than when it was new. What kind of skimmer do you have?

Well so far my endeavor to The Home Depot seems to have paid off. I made my own out let pipe out of PVC and as of today my micro bubbles are very minimal :)

the guy that help me set-up and maintian my new aquarium last month, swears by Coralife skimmers. I told him im willing to spend an extra hundred for a better skimmer, he saiD save my money and use it on a bad a$$ RO/DI. But i keep reading bad things about the coralife skimmer.

the guy that help me set-up and maintian my new aquarium last month, swears by Coralife skimmers. I told him im willing to spend an extra hundred for a better skimmer, he saiD save my money and use it on a bad a$$ RO/DI. But i keep reading bad things about the coralife skimmer.
The only people who think a Coralife SuperSkimmer is good are those who never used a good skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom