Skimmer opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spotted

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking at this piece:

Reef Octopus 4" Recirculating Skimmer OCT DNWB110

I has a 120 FOWLR tank for now. I plan on going reef perhaps in a year of so. Will this fit the bill for the future also?

That size skimmer is probably on the very bottom end of the size you should use. I would probably go with the 6inch one. Then maybe when u go reef upgrade to the bubble blaster pump.

Edit: I'm using the nwb110 (the nonrecirculating version of that skimmer) on a 40g with 20g sump, and I love it.

I was looking at the 6", but I am not sure of the clearance on that one. It's 24" tall. This one is only 2" shorter though.
I am going to have to take measurements when I get home.
Other than that how is this line of skimmer.
I was also looking at an AquaC EV120.

I've never had an aqua c. But I've only heard good things about both brands. I do think that the aquacs are shorter than most others. Like I said I really like my reef octopus, and them bubble blaster pumps look really impressive. I plan on upgrading mine within a year, but I'm really not even close to maxing mine out right now. But I have a super low bioload as of right now.

Oh and they say u need a half inch clearance to remove the cup on the reef octopus, but I would give yourself at least an inch.

I might of bought the diablo the only thing I didn't like is that it's not easily upgradable to the bubble blaster pump. With the other one if you wanna upgrade it's as easy as unscrewing the union and hooking up the new one. But not taking that into consideration I would say the diablo.

Ok, so not as easy to do, but still doable? Also the 6" is rated for a larger tank up to 180 while the Diablo is rated at 150.
The Diablo has a better warranty.

I'm sure it's doable but I don't know if anyone has done it yet. So they finally changed the rating on the diablo? It was way overrated. There was a post, on another forum, from coralvue that said that the original rating was from the manufacturer and they hadn't really tested it yet to give it a more accurate rating.

Back
Top Bottom