Skimmer options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reanea03

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i found several skimmers on CL from one guy for what seems like a good deal any advise on which one would help here is his email reply to me:

I have a skimmer that is brand new. Can be used on tanks from 25 gallons to 300 gallons. This way, if you decided you like having a marine tank and want to upgrade, this skimmer will work for tanks up to 300 gallons. Its a Red Sea Prizm Pro deluxe protein skimmer. Can be used as a hang on the back skimmer or a in the sump skimmer.
These sale for anywhere from 169.00 to 230.00. This one also has the surface skimmer attachment. Helps take off the film that some tanks get floating on the surface of the tank water.
Ill take $115.00 for it. I have it posted on CL for $120.00 rt now, but the lowest I can go is $115.00. thats what I paid for it.
Let me know if you are interested and I can meet you anytime.

I have another skimmer rated for tanks up to 100 gallon. Its a hang on the back skimmer. It is a Octopus backpack skimmer. Single chamber with pump. Its used. Would take 100.00 for it if interested in thsi one.

Then the one I have for a in the sump skimmer is a Red Sea skimmer. Its a in the sump only skimmer with pump. Its rated for tanks from 25 gallon to 225 gallon. Its used, and the least I could take is $120.00

The Red Sea Prizm Pro deluxe protein skimmer has been discontinued if i remember correctly. Wasn't a great skimmer from what i remember. I'd suggest the Reef Octopus as well.

I agree with Leo; what size tank are you going to use it for? Do you/will you have a sump for the DT? If possible I'd recommend an in sump skimmer over a HOB if you can fit it into your sump.

If you really want the HOB octopus, I'd say go for it and use it on the back of your sump. However, without knowing the model #, it's hard to tell if you're getting a good deal or not. It most likely is the OCT BH1000; but can't say for sure.

In case you're thinking about getting an in-sump skimmer, a great choice would be the Reef Octopus NWB110. It's a decent size and price for something brand new.
Reef Octopus 4

Ok thanks! I'm in my 3rd week of cycling at this point it's not a rush.. Just figured if it was a good deal I'd take advantage.. I'll check out the one you suggested.. Thanks!

Np. Really can't go wrong with a Reef Octopus skimmer. You should be able to find something that fits in your sump. Either a HOB, or in sump if you can. They take a while to dial in/ break in. If you can get the skimmer the sooner the better; but no rush =)

is it an octopus or a bakpak? octopus doesn't make a skimmer called a bakpak, but CPR does.
btw, that prizm skimmer will no way effectively filter a 300 gallon tank.
i wouldn't buy any of those to be quite honest, unless the octo skimmer he was talking about was the one that rick mentioned. that one i would try for 100 bucks. make sure it's this one:
Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue - AquaCave

but if you have a sump, you need to measure the space you have in it for a skimmer and buy one accordingly. i would not buy a HOB skimmer if i had a sump.

The Reef Octopus NWB110 seems to be a great value.. cant really find my answer to my next question: I have apx 9-8 inches of water in my second chamber of my sump (which is i assume the correct placement of the skimmer) can you tell me if this is sufficient amount of water.. thanks as always

When i emailed their customer services a few months ago; they said 6-10". I'd probably go with an 8-10" height; so your sump should be perfect.

Ideally you'd want the sump in the first compartment (in the compartment where the DT overflow is coming into). Your fuge will come after your skimmer. This comes in handy if you plan on growing pods in your fuge. Since your skimmer is before your fuge; they won't die off in the skimmer etc.

If you decide to put your skimmer close to the compartment where the return pump is located; just be careful of micro bubbles which may get pumped into the DT. A bubble trap will help if needed.

8-10 inches seems to be the general effective height for in sump skimmers. HOB's just need to have the wet side under water.

Back
Top Bottom