Skimmer prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys been a while since I been on here put I need some help. So my canister filter died the other day and I felt the need to upgrade so I bought the next size up ehiem Ecco, but now it seems my remora aqua c protein skimmer isn't producing a drop of foam in the collection cup and it's putting lots of micro bubbles into the tank, is it possible that there was some oils in the new canister equipment and tubing that is keeping the skimmer from skimming?
Thanks for any advice

Normally the oils cause a skimmer to go nuts. I think the new canister is coincidence. My guess is you have some salt creep built up in the air line. Reove the pump and the piece where the airline connects. Clean the pump of any sludge, remove the airline and look in the hole. Rinse or soak in RODI water and maybe root around with the tip of a straightened paper clip. I have a Coralife skimmer that always gets salt build up right where the air line connects.

I took the whole thing apart last night and cleaned it and the same thing no skimate just bubbles, the remora doesn't have an air line but I cleaned it how the instructions tell you to do every do often

OK. I had googled some pictures of the unit, and what popped up was what looked to be a needle wheel or venturi type unit. I went to Aqua C's site, and I see it's a downdraft or Beckett style injector. (I actually have a EV-120. It's like a bigger in-sump version of the Remora.) The only other thing I can think of is there is some debris in the injector, whether it's salt creep or organic matter. I pulled up the pdf version of the manual, and it looks like there is some kind of access screw at the top of the injector that you can remove to clean out the port. The instructions mention some kind of cleaning brush that came with the skimmer. they also say to not drop the screw into the skimemr body or to overtighten it when you put it back. have you tried that?

Yea that's exactly what I did last night I took that screw out and ran the brush through it and didn't pull out any gunk and then I went ran it under water, and again w the brush. Still no gunk on the brush so I put the screw back in then I swished water in the whole thing because I thought there was some sand and detritus on the floor of the unit and dumped it all out. It was as clean as a whistle when I was done. Hooked it all back up and no skimmate just bubbles into the tank. Pump is pumping perfect also.

When I got the skimmer new it said there would be a fine film of oil on the skimmer from production and what not. And that there would be a period of a week or two where the skimmer wouldn't produce and foam into the cup that's why I was thinking it may be some sort of oil on or in the brand new canister filter putting a small amount of similar oils into the water? My parameters are fine on the water

Ok so today I'm starting to see some foam coming to the top of the tube in the collection cup still nothing in the cup but atleast it seems like it may be working a little better maybe in the next few days it will be working properly

Back
Top Bottom