Skimmer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milhous3er

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been noticing something about my skimmer. Whenever I feed or vaccum my substrate, my skimmer goes nuts !! I fed today my formula 1&2 and about an hour later I noticed my skimmer cup was overflowing !! I used to be able to go a week without emptying my cup, but lately its been going nuts. I usually turn off all my circulation while I feed, including my skimmer.

I tinker with my settings just enough to get a nice dry skimmate. Somedays its kinda wet, others its not.

I have no clue whats going on, but i'm assuming its because i'm feeding.

BTW its a CPR BakPak2 with bio-bale.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with HOBs but i know for the in-sump ones, how well they work depends a lot on where the water level is outside of the skimmer. I would empty it when you do your PWCs and just leave it off through the process. after you are all filled back up, you can turn it back on. Always worked for mine.
HTH

I'll try emptying it like you said. I always turn off my skimmer when I do my pwcs but i've never emptied it.

My 300f octopus done the same thing. After a water change, the skimmer would run fine for a couple days and then the water would fill the cup for no reason. I just left the cup high for 3 days and then pushed it down where it was and never had any other problems. HTH

Back
Top Bottom