Skimmer Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I have a seaclone 100 skimmer that was working fine then went nutz on me. I modified it by shortening the inner 1" diameter tube. Then I drilled a hole on the incoming tube from the maxijet 1200 to the skimmer. I used aquarium sealant and it worked great for a day foaming up and giving me skimmate but now it is bubbling very huge bubbles instead of the small ones. I'm using a cheap 88 cent 2pack of airstones that was working fine.

Now it isn't working because the bubbles are too big.

noteworthy said:
I used aquarium sealant and it worked great for a day foaming up and giving me skimmate but now it is bubbling very huge bubbles instead of the small ones.
What is the salinity of your water? The larger the bubble usually means the salinity is not optimum/lower than recommended (35 ppt). As Malkore points out, the type of airstone will also make a difference. <<Wood block "stones">> will put out a much finer bubble which is much more efficient (more surface area) than regular air stones.

Cheers
Steve

Nonsense, they can easily be moded to include an airstone. Given this skimmers poor performance, it's an almost necessary addition if you don't want to waste it. Otherwise it's just an exspensive pump and some plastic.

Cheers
Steve

I must have been thinking of a mod'd Seaclone I read about. most of the 'positive comments' i've seen on seaclone were all from users who mod'd theirs to be more efficient. I think the wood airstone addition is the #1 mod for seaclones. they used to do something to lower the collection cup...but as I understand they changed the seaclone design within the last year, making this second mod unnecessary...i think :?

How exactly do you do the air stone or wood stone modification? Do you dril la hole in the top of the collection cup and feed the stone and air line down into the bottom of the skimmer or are you supposed to cut into the bottom of the skimmer or the plastic like from the pump into the skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom