Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some take a couple days to break in some a week or two it depends on the model which one do you have?

i had one of those it took about 3-4 days to break in but i'll tell you i wasnt very happy with it and ended up getting another one

if you have a friend that has a skiller on his/her SW setup, then take some skimmate from theirs and rub it on the neck of the cup and skimmer. it will keep the break in time short

O really how can u tell if it's not working to good? And if my tank finishes cycling this weekend before the skimmer is doing it's thing can I still add fish? I think I can but this is my first saltwater tank

yea you can a protein skimmer isnt really NEEDED item to have but it does do a great job of breaking down disolved organics and removing them from the tank

you shouldn't add fish untill the cycle is done

he said IF it finishes and also with my seaclone i was constantly having to adjust it to create skim and when it did skim it wasnt very good at it

Ok so basically it turns harmful stuff into foam and then u remove it manually by cleaning the top cup?

you can use it wherever you want, all it does is creats microbubbles that attract disolved organics and pulls it out of the water

Huh interesting. Is this a sw thing only or would one help my discus tank
If this Discus tank is planted it would not be a good Idea to use a Skimmer because the skimmer would remove nutriants needed by the plants. Better to spend your money on a good filter.IMO

SeaClone skimmers are notoriously bad. They dont skim well when properly adjusted and difficult to 'dial in' When I first started out I assumed skimmers are all the same. So I bought a SeaClone because that's what the lfs sold. I couldn't get it to skim, and I bought a second one, figuring the first was broken. I ended up returning them after a few weeks and bought a better unit- for around the same price.

If you purchased the skimmer new, you might consider returning it, since you might never get it to make foam.

Back
Top Bottom