Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

js198027

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-1339747052.jpg
Wondering where the outlet from the skimmer should aim or doesn't it matter? And how close to the side can the intake be to the sump?
Thanks for the help

The skimmer may make micro bubbles that the intake for your return pump will spread through out your display tank. Keep them as far apart as possible. You may need a set of baffles to trap the bubbles. looks like your setup will work if thats the return on the left in your pic. Good luck.

How much space do you have between the outlet and the glass? I think if you have 3/4" or more you should be ok. I would rather turn it the opposite way, pointing away from the glass.

And how about the skimmer intake? And do u guys think my fuge and return area each being 12" will be ok or should I make the return area smaller. I don't have ATO so trying to accommodate for evaporation.

I think you should go - intake with skimmer>refugium>return, not T off the drain to go into 2 compartments. You do not have to regulate how much water goes through the refugium and 2 bubble traps is going to take up more valuable space.
The skimmer intake should be far enough away from the glass to be able to pull enough water. Probably around the same....3/4 to an inch.

Mr X thats what my plan is. intake/skimmer on the right, fuge in the middle, return on left. One piece of glass between intake/skimmer and fuge and a two pane bubble trap between fuge and return. do you think a 12x12 fuge is enough or should i make the return section smaller and fuge bigger. the pic isn't very good but the making tape represents where my panes of glass will be.

But I see 2 drains....one on the right and one on the left?
It's hard to say how much evap you will see, and it will vary through the seasons, with turning the heat and a/c on and temp/humidity changes. you are just going to have to try it and hope for the best.
As for a 12 x 12 refugium, I suppose any refugium will be a help. You have to use what space you have.

ahhh I can see how you would think that. I dont have my return pump yet so i just have the pipe hanging there. it will be hooked to the pipe on the left. Hope that clears up the confusion sorry about that.

Ahh. I see. I would not hard pipe the return pump if I was you. Cut that pipe off a little higher and use a rubber hose with a barb fitting. You will want to move the pump around from time to time and You will probably have more vibration transferred this way.
Also, do not trust those check valves. They have been known to fail in salt water systems. A lot of strange things grow in dark places in salt tanks.

Yep thats my game plan. I already have the barb fitting to put on the pipe when I cut it off. Just waiting on the pump to get it all laid out. And Are you talking about my ball valves that you say not to trust?

The check valves.....oh...my mistake, those are unions. No worries. Some people use a check valve that has a flap inside that lets water only go one way. These seem to work pretty good for fresh water applications, but not for salt.
Swing Check Valve - Slip x Slip

Will my skimmer become more adjustable as it breaks in. I'm having a hard time keeping the bubbles in the cone. It is either way full or way low. And just when I think I have it set I will look at it a few minutes later and it is way low or over flowing into the cup

Back
Top Bottom