Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long shoul I wait to plug in the skimmer after I add fish???

thanks much. The LFS said that i should wait about a month but I was going for first day.

Thanks
Mason

The skimmer will take out the dissolved organic compounds (doc) in the water. You are trying to build this up for the basteria to feed on. The less nutients in the water the less basteria the slower the cycle. Once the cycle has finished the nutients will only help to grow algea. Turn the skimmer on when you add fish to remove the doc's in the water.

So then, does a filter not remove the DOC's from the water or should I turn this off also?

Hey I see that you are from lubbock. Is the fish store on 34th or 38th (cant remember the right street.) Mr.Aquarium any good?? I am going to come up some time soon to visit my great grandparents in Shallow Water. I was going to stop by while I was there.

Thanks
Mason

r6mason said:
So then, does a filter not remove the DOC's from the water or should I turn this off also?

Hey I see that you are from lubbock. Is the fish store on 34th or 38th (cant remember the right street.) Mr.Aquarium any good?? I am going to come up some time soon to visit my great grandparents in Shallow Water. I was going to stop by while I was there.

Thanks
Mason

Depends on the filter, some, like the HOB penguins with the biowheel, you want running (to build up colonies on the wheel). Others, such as a canister you may want to wait until you have your tank cycled. It also depends on the amount of LR and circulation you have... Give us your specifics and we can help you decide which is be preferred route to take.

I have a 100 gal tank with a 2028 ehiem filter with a prizm skimmer. No LR as of yet. just some coral skeletons and some old dead barnacles. I have play sand as substrate<--??

I also have an 802 powerhead. Not sure what brand and a magnum 350 canister filter.

I think that is all.

Thanks for your help.

Mason

The store on 34 and university is MR. Aquarium and it is pretty good. As for corals and fish you also may wnat to check out Hi-Tech on 50th, a couple blocks west of university. They have a great selection of corals at much better prices than Mr. A.
PM me when you are going to be in town and we can talk some over lunch one day.

Back
Top Bottom