Skimmer/Skimmate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Lately my skimmer has been skimming twice as fast as usual, the cup fills twice a day now. The skimmate is now mostly clear with a little tan color, and does not smell that bad. What would cause this? Does this usually happen from time to time? Or is my water just that clean 8O LOL

Thanks,
Rich

You need to adjust your skimmer as your skimming to much. The skim should be dark in color vs the little tan color you state. Your basicly removing mostly water from the system vs the collected proteins that you would if the skim was a dark brown color.

If your water is clean you would have next to no skim output vs an output that was clear.

like Revhtree I'm curious as to what brand/model skimmer you've got. Even if it isn't a prizm (shudder) we may have a few tips to make it work a little better.

You need to adjust your skimmer as your skimming to much. The skim should be dark in color vs the little tan color you state. Your basicly removing mostly water from the system vs the collected proteins that you would if the skim was a dark brown color.

If your water is clean you would have next to no skim output vs an output that was clear.

Actually the skimmer was adjusted high but i've been using it like that since I bought it back in March. I've since lowered it but will lower it even more til I get dark skimmate again.

like Revhtree I'm curious as to what brand/model skimmer you've got. Even if it isn't a prizm (shudder) we may have a few tips to make it work a little better

Also what kind of skimmer are you using? Sounds like a Prism...

Its a CPR... it came with my CPR Aquafuge Pro. Its powered by a tiny Rio 600.

Thanks,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom