Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Skimmer/Sump Question

I've never had a skimmer and sump before - have been in saltwater for just over a year now and recently upgraded to a larger display with a DIY 55 gallon sump, made with the typical 3 sections for intake/skimmer, refugium, and return pump. The display is a 100 gallon Clarity Plus Acrylic that has been up and running for about 2 months now. I have been searching for a good, used skimmer to add to the sump since I got the tank. I just found a OCTX-200; however, the footprint is too large for the skimmer area of my sump. Could I set it in my refugium section and still use the same section as a refugium or is there any way to modify the compartments to make the skimmer section larger with it already running? I suspect not, but just thought I would ask. I know if there is an answer, someone here will know. Otherwise does anyone have a suggestion for another good skimmer in the same price range (I will have to find it used) that will fit in a 12"x10" sump area? I also have another area about the same size externally in my cabinet that I could use if necessary.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the best thing to do is make the sump fit the skimmer you want, get a good skimmer and build the section to fit

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I realize that now, but the sump is already built and running. Is there anything I can do now to make room for it?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use an esopps psk 150 in my 125g and my sump section for a skimmer is quite small. Check out this link, they have the footprints of all the skimmers so you may find one that will fit.

Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com
Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Carey. So there isn't anything I can do that will allow me to use this Octopus?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt put the skimmer in the refugium section if you have macro and rock in it already. It will suck up the pods and other stuff thats in that section.

I have the same dilemma, I want a bigger skimmer but it wont fit in my skimmer section and I didnt really wanna ditch the refugium so I ended up staying with the eshopps. The eshopps I have is only 12 by 6 inches so that might fit, yes? And thats the psk 150, if you went down a size then it would be even smaller.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right. Maybe I should ask in the DIY section and see if anyone there might have any ideas. I hate to pass up this deal. I've been watching for two months now. Thanks again for responding!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

what sizes do you have for the 3 sections,do you have a photo of your sump
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry for delay in response. Here are pics but think I'll just keep looking for skimmer that will fit instead of trying to modify this one. It was just a good deal on a good skimmer. I'll just have to be more flexible since I have to buy used.

Here are pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1402932554.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	97953   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1775654269.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	97954  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3103555615.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	97955  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What size area do you have? You could take all that media run it in reactors and hang them that would open that area for a skimmer. Media would be more efficient in a reactor cause they force water through the media. In bags water has a tendency to flow around not through. Law of least resistance

Tags
question, skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com