Skimmer/Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keimaxbode

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never had a skimmer and sump before - have been in saltwater for just over a year now and recently upgraded to a larger display with a DIY 55 gallon sump, made with the typical 3 sections for intake/skimmer, refugium, and return pump. The display is a 100 gallon Clarity Plus Acrylic that has been up and running for about 2 months now. I have been searching for a good, used skimmer to add to the sump since I got the tank. I just found a OCTX-200; however, the footprint is too large for the skimmer area of my sump. Could I set it in my refugium section and still use the same section as a refugium or is there any way to modify the compartments to make the skimmer section larger with it already running? I suspect not, but just thought I would ask. I know if there is an answer, someone here will know. Otherwise does anyone have a suggestion for another good skimmer in the same price range (I will have to find it used) that will fit in a 12"x10" sump area? I also have another area about the same size externally in my cabinet that I could use if necessary.

the best thing to do is make the sump fit the skimmer you want, get a good skimmer and build the section to fit

I realize that now, but the sump is already built and running. Is there anything I can do now to make room for it?

I wouldnt put the skimmer in the refugium section if you have macro and rock in it already. It will suck up the pods and other stuff thats in that section.

I have the same dilemma, I want a bigger skimmer but it wont fit in my skimmer section and I didnt really wanna ditch the refugium so I ended up staying with the eshopps. The eshopps I have is only 12 by 6 inches so that might fit, yes? And thats the psk 150, if you went down a size then it would be even smaller.

Right. Maybe I should ask in the DIY section and see if anyone there might have any ideas. I hate to pass up this deal. I've been watching for two months now. Thanks again for responding!

Sorry for delay in response. Here are pics but think I'll just keep looking for skimmer that will fit instead of trying to modify this one. It was just a good deal on a good skimmer. I'll just have to be more flexible since I have to buy used.

Here are pics:

Attachments

• image-1402932554.jpg
    image-1402932554.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1775654269.jpg
    image-1775654269.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3103555615.jpg
    image-3103555615.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 83
What size area do you have? You could take all that media run it in reactors and hang them that would open that area for a skimmer. Media would be more efficient in a reactor cause they force water through the media. In bags water has a tendency to flow around not through. Law of least resistance

I don't have the funds to buy reactors, but will be removing the media and replacing it with a skimmer and filter sock when I find a good used one for what I can afford. That has been my problem. There aren't many good used ones available locally.

The first section is 10 x 12. I made the fuge area the largest because I thought that was supposed to be as large as possible. Then the return section is 10 x 12.

I was told the activated carbon should go in the filter sock; it that correct?

Warner Marine MF skimmers are great and small foot print. I have a 181 i think its 9x9 foot print they have smaller. But the are great skimmers nit cheap though

That's the problem. I need good AND cheap AND local since I'm buying used. Makes it difficult and why it's taking so long. Found a Red Sea close by for $50 but read they are hard to adjust.

That's what I'm doing. Which one would you suggest? My space isn't large enough for an Octopus. I was looking at a Euro, Eshopps, or CSS. Would I be safe in buying used?

I have 2 eshopps in sump skimmers and I really really like them. they are pretty small so they fit in any sump almost and they don't release a million little micro bubbles like my reef octopus does. lol

If you find a good deal on one used i would grab it! hehe...although new they are only like $150 anyways, but used will work too

carey said:
I have 2 eshopps in sump skimmers and I really really like them. they are pretty small so they fit in any sump almost and they don't release a million little micro bubbles like my reef octopus does. lol

If you find a good deal on one used i would grab it! hehe...although new they are only like $150 anyways, but used will work too

Would one be enough for 100g display & 55g sump?

The eshopps psk 150 is rated for 150g. The rule of thumb with skimmer is usually to get one that is rated for 1.5-2.0 X your water volume. BUT having said that, I find the 150 works really well on my 125g reef. I need to empty the cup every other day or so and it pulls a VERY nasty skim. lol

Like I said too i was limited in space in my sump so the eshopps with its small footprint was the only thing i could fit in the section of the sump. lol

Bottom line on the eshopps skimmer is that I had one and liked it so much i just bought a second one for my 60g tank. lol I have a reef octopus on one tank and unlike any one else, I am not a big fan.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom