skimmer vs skimmer vs skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most folks I know prefer the Reef Octos over the Eshopps. How large is the tank, and what will the bioload be like? Folks might be able to make a better recommendation with that info.

Most folks I know prefer the Reef Octos over the Eshopps. How large is the tank, and what will the bioload be like? Folks might be able to make a better recommendation with that info.

for now, it's a regular 29gal heavily stocked. This is a skimmer that I'm going to use once I upgrade my current tank to a 65gal. I'm planning ahead so that I don't have to buy another skimmer later down the road.

I have an eshopps psk-75h over a 20 and it does well. I have 4 fish and I pull a cup a week.

I have an eshopps psk-75h over a 20 and it does well. I have 4 fish and I pull a cup a week.

thanks for the input. I'm trying to gather enough info before I pull the trigger.

also, I will convert the current 29gal to a sump later on for the bigger tank.

any other good skimmer recommendation is welcomed also

None of these are going to be sufficient for a 65 gallon in my opinion. If the 29 is going to be a sump, then skip the hang on back skimmer and go for one of the reef octopus in sump skimmers, or if price is a big issue the Bubble Magus skimmers are not bad...

Bubble Magus BM-NAC3.5 Cone Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

The 3.5 would do ok on a 65... the NAC7 would be even better.

I would also agree on the Reef Octopus if choosing between those 3 hob skimmers.

If price is a major concern I would go with the eshopps. I have three and like them the best out of all my skimmers. :)

Get the biggest skimmer you can fit for now, hopefully that will be enough for the 65 when you get it going. But if you are going with a sump i would definitley look into an in sumo model.

I'm with Fort384. I like Bubble magus for the money. I would go a step larger than the one he posted though, for a 65.

If price is a major concern I would go with the eshopps. I have three and like them the best out of all my skimmers. :)

Get the biggest skimmer you can fit for now, hopefully that will be enough for the 65 when you get it going. But if you are going with a sump i would definitley look into an in sumo model.

thanks Carey and everyone else. the fact that Eshopps PSK100H has pump outside of the tank is a plus and the reputation behind Reef Octopus have me torn between the two units. i really need a high quality video of the unboxing of the Reef Octopus since all the videos i have seen so far aren't that great and i would like an idea of how much space it takes up inside the tank

I'm with Fort384. I like Bubble magus for the money. I would go a step larger than the one he posted though, for a 65.

I agree - I linked the 3.5 but said the 7 would be even better if he can swing it. I use a 3.5 on my 57 gal and it does well but the biggest you can afford and fit is best.

I have the Reef Octopus BH100 on my 20 and absolutely love it! I can run it so dry I pull black "butter" out, or wetter and pull a nice tea colored cup out every week. Its very easy to adjust, clean, and it preforms amazingly. If you have any questions about it I'm more than happy to answer. I can take pictures and stuff for you as well once I'm home if you would like!

I have the Reef Octopus BH100 on my 20 and absolutely love it! I can run it so dry I pull black "butter" out, or wetter and pull a nice tea colored cup out every week. Its very easy to adjust, clean, and it preforms amazingly. If you have any questions about it I'm more than happy to answer. I can take pictures and stuff for you as well once I'm home if you would like!
oh could you do that please!!!!! i would like to see the amount of space it takes up in the tank. i appreciate anything that you can provide.

Here's some pictures, it's not the smallest in the tank, but it makes up for it in performance

20140217_213631.jpg

20140217_213835.jpg

20140217_213647.jpg

The LED's don't make it super easy to take pictures haha, so disregard the blaring light

Thank you very much. If the performance is good, I might consider the BH1000 since the pump is outside the tank.

That's what the plus to the BH1000 is, but to me it's not worth the extra $50, and honestly I don't even notice its in the tank anymore.

If you dont have a site handy, marinedepot has the footprint of each skimmer. then you can see which one fill fit where. :)

That's what the plus to the BH1000 is, but to me it's not worth the extra $50, and honestly I don't even notice its in the tank anymore.

so i got the BH1000 in the end. the instructions were obviously useless and had to watch a couple youtube videos to see how things should be put together. ran for the first time last night for about 3hrs and already seeing yellow/light brown skimmate but anyways here are my questions:

1) how do you adjust for proper skimmate? right now i'm just moving the box up or down so that the bubbles are just touching the neck of the collection cup. even with that i end up with very very wet skimmate. other skimmers that i have used so far use the adjustable air valve, which i don't use because the silencer in place (or show i be using the air valve that came with the unit?)

2) the position of the outlet pipe: should it be below my water level or above my water level?

so i got the BH1000 in the end. the instructions were obviously useless and had to watch a couple youtube videos to see how things should be put together. ran for the first time last night for about 3hrs and already seeing yellow/light brown skimmate but anyways here are my questions:

1) how do you adjust for proper skimmate? right now i'm just moving the box up or down so that the bubbles are just touching the neck of the collection cup. even with that i end up with very very wet skimmate. other skimmers that i have used so far use the adjustable air valve, which i don't use because the silencer in place (or show i be using the air valve that came with the unit?)

2) the position of the outlet pipe: should it be below my water level or above my water level?

1) By adjusting the height of the cup, you shouldn't be restricting the air intake, the silencer should be on it. It only takes very small movements on the cup to adjust. Let it break in a little more, it'll get easier to adjust.

2) Under the water, mine has a microbubble catcher on the outtake and its under water.

And I instructions are not that great lol, especially coming from the highly regarded 'Reef Octopus' haha

Back
Top Bottom