Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer Wars: Hydor Slim-Skim vs CPR Bak Pak II

so ive come to another cross roads in my reef dt build guys, i have the slim skim and it works great, picks up a bunch of crap, nice dark skimmate, all in all a good skimmer imo, now ive inherited a cpr bak pak II and i wanna know what would be the best one to use on my 75g reef? i plan to stay very light on the stock, just my pair of caramels and maybe a lemonpeel or flame angel and 2 purple firefish, and mostly corals, 2 tao 120w fixtures, +/- 100lbs of pukani live rock, 30g long refugium, (2) 4" filter socks, mag 7 return pump, pf-800 overflow, and 4 evo 1150s on 2 smart waves so ill be moving some water, what do you guys think is best for me?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Skimmer Wars: Hydor Slim-Skim vs CPR Bak Pak II

I've heard good things about the bak pak. If it was free, run it...unless you want to stick with what is working that is.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Neither of those skimmers are sufficient for a 75 gallon reef tank. Even ran together I wouldn't count on them.
You want a quality skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 x your tank volume.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Neither of those skimmers are sufficient for a 75 gallon reef tank. Even ran together I wouldn't count on them.
You want a quality skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 x your tank volume.
I know, and thats why I ask which is better because thats all I can run atm and all I have are a pair of caramels and live rock nothing else in the tank, I plan to get a reef octopus for 100-125g soon but I need to run either one of these now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I've heard good things about the bak pak. If it was free, run it...unless you want to stick with what is working that is.
I've never run the bak pak but I've read good reviews about it, anyone have experience with one?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would run them both. I don't have experience with the Hydor, but I didn't like the BakPak I had the opportunity to use.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would run them both. I don't have experience with the Hydor, but I didn't like the BakPak I had the opportunity to use.
Both on the tank? Or can I run the bak pak in the sump on the intake chamber? I like the hydor in the tank because its black and you can't really see it in the corner its in,
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh...Yeah...put it in the sump by all means. Both of them if you want.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oh...Yeah...put it in the sump by all means. Both of them if you want.
What skimmer do you recommend thats a hob?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is stopping you from an In-sump skimmer? the skimmers I would consider decent that are the hang on style are pretty expensive. Either the Super Reef Octos or the SeaSide Aquatics DC-Q1. These are ok, but I could show you in sump skimmers with small footprints that will skim circles around them for less.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What is stopping you from an In-sump skimmer? the skimmers I would consider decent that are the hang on style are pretty expensive. Either the Super Reef Octos or the SeaSide Aquatics DC-Q1. These are ok, but I could show you in sump skimmers with small footprints that will skim circles around them for less.
Well, the thing is I want as big of a fuge chamber as possible in my sump, so my thoughts were keep a hob skimmer since I've had such success with them, and keep the fuge the largest it can be since I struck gold imo and found a used 30g long, I was thinking just enough room for 2 filter socks parallel to each other and a slim return pump and the rest just fuge chamber.

Tags
hydor, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com