Skimmer Wars: Hydor Slim-Skim vs CPR Bak Pak II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so ive come to another cross roads in my reef dt build guys, i have the slim skim and it works great, picks up a bunch of crap, nice dark skimmate, all in all a good skimmer imo, now ive inherited a cpr bak pak II and i wanna know what would be the best one to use on my 75g reef? i plan to stay very light on the stock, just my pair of caramels and maybe a lemonpeel or flame angel and 2 purple firefish, and mostly corals, 2 tao 120w fixtures, +/- 100lbs of pukani live rock, 30g long refugium, (2) 4" filter socks, mag 7 return pump, pf-800 overflow, and 4 evo 1150s on 2 smart waves so ill be moving some water, what do you guys think is best for me?

Last edited:
Neither of those skimmers are sufficient for a 75 gallon reef tank. Even ran together I wouldn't count on them.
You want a quality skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 x your tank volume.

Neither of those skimmers are sufficient for a 75 gallon reef tank. Even ran together I wouldn't count on them.
You want a quality skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 x your tank volume.

I know, and thats why I ask which is better because thats all I can run atm and all I have are a pair of caramels and live rock nothing else in the tank, I plan to get a reef octopus for 100-125g soon but I need to run either one of these now.

I've heard good things about the bak pak. If it was free, run it...unless you want to stick with what is working that is.

I've never run the bak pak but I've read good reviews about it, anyone have experience with one?

I would run them both. I don't have experience with the Hydor, but I didn't like the BakPak I had the opportunity to use.

I would run them both. I don't have experience with the Hydor, but I didn't like the BakPak I had the opportunity to use.

Both on the tank? Or can I run the bak pak in the sump on the intake chamber? I like the hydor in the tank because its black and you can't really see it in the corner its in,

What is stopping you from an In-sump skimmer? the skimmers I would consider decent that are the hang on style are pretty expensive. Either the Super Reef Octos or the SeaSide Aquatics DC-Q1. These are ok, but I could show you in sump skimmers with small footprints that will skim circles around them for less.

What is stopping you from an In-sump skimmer? the skimmers I would consider decent that are the hang on style are pretty expensive. Either the Super Reef Octos or the SeaSide Aquatics DC-Q1. These are ok, but I could show you in sump skimmers with small footprints that will skim circles around them for less.

Well, the thing is I want as big of a fuge chamber as possible in my sump, so my thoughts were keep a hob skimmer since I've had such success with them, and keep the fuge the largest it can be since I struck gold imo and found a used 30g long, I was thinking just enough room for 2 filter socks parallel to each other and a slim return pump and the rest just fuge chamber.

IME, a decent skimmer does more for the water quality than a refugium. I would be more concerned with that than anything else. When i build a sump, I pick a skimmer first, then build a sump to fit it.

IME, a decent skimmer does more for the water quality than a refugium. I would be more concerned with that than anything else. When i build a sump, I pick a skimmer first, then build a sump to fit it.

Any suggestions for a good affordable skimmer that has a small footprint?

Yes, but the 180A and the curve 5 have a smaller pump than the 180ex. It won't perform as well. Will it do the job on your tank...maybe, but I would rather have more than less.

Yes, but the 180A and the curve 5 have a smaller pump than the 180ex. It won't perform as well. Will it do the job on your tank...maybe, but I would rather have more than less.

what kills me on the ex is the height, im gonna have a 12" waterline and just going by a general 8" water depth for a skimmer ill have to raise it 4" inches roughly plus the height of the skimmer and ill almost have no room to get the cup off the top with my stand i have now, it sucks.. :confused:

Ahh...ok then. I use 10" as a depth for this skimmer. Can the 2 inches make it for you? If not, the others should work. I mean, they are rated to be ok for a tank about twice of what you have. I know for sure that they will out perform the HOB units.

Ahh...ok then. I use 10" as a depth for this skimmer. Can the 2 inches make it for you? If not, the others should work. I mean, they are rated to be ok for a tank about twice of what you have. I know for sure that they will out perform the HOB units.

i think it might and hell yeah +150gal rating is awesome thanks for the suggestions mr x i really appreciate the help, i cant wtait to get my DT up and running!

Back
Top Bottom