Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whew, I emptied just about all the water last night, but with all my soggy substrate its still to heavy to pull out from the wall. I suppose I'll give the wooden shim's a shot. Fortunately I needed to make a trip out to home depot anyway. Thanks again everyone! I'll keep ya posted .

Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
An uneven tank places stress on the glass, & over time may cause the seam to fail. 3/4" is too much for my comfort. I would shim it just to be safe.
Definitely shim if its a 3/4" difference. I've gotten away with 1/8-1/4" of an inch difference but even that is risky.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just an update. Success! I purchased some cheap shims and a level from my local store. It took two shims under both iron legs on the right side of my stand. As soon as we set the load down they gave a loud 'crack' noise...but still seem to be doing the job. The tank is about a third full of water and the difference between the two sides is maybe 1/16th off... but that could just be my imagination. The level has it almost perfect.
I suspect the problem is that I put the tank over the tack strip on my carpet.
Anyway, this is just to thank you all once again for helping out. I couldn't do this without ya!

Tags
line

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com