Slow down filter outflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the newer tetra whisper pf10 model and would appreciate ideas on how to slow down the outflow of the water. As of now I have a small net that is helping and water level is about 4 inches from rim. If I was to fill it up to only leave 2 inches from rim the outflow becomes stronger. Any help is appreciated. I need this as I house a male Betta in my 10 U.S. gallon. Thanks in advanced.

Have you tried filling the tank all the way to the rim?

Bettas can handle decent water flow. I have bettas in a 29g with an AC70 filter. The male actually tries to swim into the return once in a while. He likes playing in the current.

Thanks BigJim! I had not thought of doing that. I will give it a try, but I'm afraid I can cause the tank to over flow if I have to reach in the tank.

Will the space left between the rim and cover be enough for the Betta to breath?

My Betta will also sometimes swim against the current and is fun to watch. Thanks for your advice.

Bettas don't have to breathe air directly. Their gills work just fine. I have a betta in a tank with a glass canopy and I fill the tank all the way to the lid.

If you fill the tank to the little ledge on the inside of the top frame, you should have enough room to stick your arm in the tank.

I have the newer tetra whisper pf10 model and would appreciate ideas on how to slow down the outflow of the water. As of now I have a small net that is helping and water level is about 4 inches from rim. If I was to fill it up to only leave 2 inches from rim the outflow becomes stronger. Any help is appreciated. I need this as I house a male Betta in my 10 U.S. gallon. Thanks in advanced.

I glued a piece of foam to my filter, that way the water falls into the foam and is sort of perculated through the foam back into the tank. That slowed it down greatly. In addition i've got just that tiny bit more space for beneficial bacteria to grow. It's win win.

Back
Top Bottom