Small Kit - Undergravel filter system question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, you don't really even need a filter on a tank that size with one betta. The UGF would probably work for a while. I'd use air on it though. A powerhead will generate way too much current for a betta...they like the water still. You can run a piece of air line tubing down the uplift tube and siphon the detritus from under the filter plate. This is a pain, but it's the only way I know to clean it out. Like I said, I'd go with no filter and do weekly water changes. One other thing...not only are bettas able to breathe atmospheric air, they have to. If you put a betta in a tank where it can't get to the top to get air, it will drown. Their gills are not sufficiently developed to supply all the oxygen they need.

These small tanks come equipped w/ an UGF and an air stone... not a bad setup for a Betta; mine seem to like it at least. But I would love to get rid of the UGF altogether... didn't realize someone made filters small enough to replace them. There is nowhere to "hang" a power filter either, so I thought I was out of luck. I'll have to check into the small pump mentioned earlier and see if they are available here! Thanks!

Off-topic P.S. What are "kudos" and how does one go about getting them?? I see that I have some and I don't recall doing anything special to earn them...?

Check out the Dr Foster catalog (or online). Look for the Azoo palm filter. This is an extremely tiny HOB power filter. Looks like a minature Whisper. I think the flow is 16gph. They're cheap too...less than $10.

Back
Top Bottom