Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brown, small fins with streaks of dark blue on top.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds nice.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just checked. The Diameter is 0.75 inch or 1.9 mm. What kind of a power head will I need ? Is there a part number for this product ? Is there a web-site for this product.

Also, if I use soil, sand and then gravel to make this into a tiny planted tank, Can I still use the UG filter ? Thanks.

Will I still need to use an air stone inspite of using the power head ? Will I have to change the Carbon often in the powerhead ? Thanks.

Vijay
Old 07-13-2003, 04:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I live in Canada and am not close to a Petsmart etc.,
Old 07-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry that I don't know too much about power heads. But I do know that you can't use soil or sand with an underground filter. It will just clog it up. So too you can't use plants that root as their roots also clog the UGF. You need floating plants which aren't a good idea in that small of a tank as they will quickly cover the surface which the Betta needs.

At walmart you can get a small filter system with cartridges that I used to use in my smaller 1 gallon tank. It has a small air pump and a small internal filter that suction cups to the side. It works fine in small tanks and is easy to take care of.

Otherwise you don't need carbon unless you need to get rid of medications. Carbon is useless in less than a week. Sponges and filter floss are the best, especially since you don't have a big bioload.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MicroFish Send a message via AIM to MicroFish
>>At walmart you can get a small filter system with cartridges that I used to use in my smaller 1 gallon tank. It has a small air pump and a small internal filter that suction cups to the side. It works fine in small tanks and is easy to take care of.

What is this called? I've not seen it before and pretty much assumed that the UG filter was all I could use w/ my Bettas. Would love to be able to get rid of the UG filter altogether!! Would that be possible w/ the filter you just described?
Old 07-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure it would. I don't know the name. But in the Canadian WalMarts it is just located near the fish food. It comes in a green package with an air pump, tubing, the filter and a valve so you can adjust how much air goes through. If you tunr it down it is pretty much silent. They sell replacement cartridges in 2 packs. I used to change them once a month or so and it kept the water nice and clean.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

This filter is quite expensive, almost the price of the tank itself. I wonder if it is even essential. A partial water change atleast once a week, gravel cleaning twice a month and using the undergravel filter seems to be a better option.

I have known cases where people have not changed water for extended periods of time while using this filter. This resulted in bacterial infection. There is no substitute for water change, specially in smaller tanks.

Vijay
Old 07-13-2003, 06:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

This question on UGF is out of general interest.

If I used a powerhead, do I still need the air stone/pump ? Why ?

Vijay
Old 07-13-2003, 06:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need an airstone at all. They are just for looks and for extra airation, but this isn't needed for Betta that can breath air if the water lacks oxygen.

You should change water every week in a tank that small regardless of what filter you use.

You don't need the suction cup filter if you plan on using the UGF. It is just an option in case you don't want to use the UGF which most people don't like to use. And if you ever want plants UGF's are useless.

If you use the UGF that comes with the tank then there is no need for a powerhead. Bettas also don't like or need a whole lot of water movement as it becomes harder for them to swim with those big fins.

Tags
filter, stem, system, undergravel, undergravel filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com