Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Small Kit - Undergravel filter system question.

Name of the Tank: The Aqua Tank
Manuf.: Hawkeye Corporation in KS
TANK: Small ACRYLIC Hex 2G tank (Pump included) Kit.

I bought a yesterday that comes with an Undergravel filter system. This basically has an elevated black hexagonal plastic that goes at the bottom of the tank. There is a tube that goes into
this black piece, the other end terminates towards the top. How can I
suction of the water/waste from this ? Do I have to buy anything else
extra ?

Also, is it safe to use a 25W heater with this tanks ?

Thanks.

Vijay

Old 07-13-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to NovaWo1f Send a message via MSN to NovaWo1f Send a message via Yahoo to NovaWo1f
Just stick a bubble stone down the tube, the air bubbles will cause the water to get sucked up, and water to get sucked down through the gravel and back up through the tube. I got a cheap little hexagonal aquarium too, no clue how big, cant be no more than 2 gallons. Pretty cool...lol

Old 07-13-2003, 03:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If air bubbles are caused below the grave and then they rise above, water will get pushed up. Then the waste will be distributed all over the tank. This is very confusing. Can this be explained more clearly please ?

Also, how does the waste get removed out of the tank then ? Is it manually removed or siphoned out ?

Vijay
Old 07-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, an air stone is placed into the verticle tube of a UGF. As bubbles are introduced into the tube, they displace water which is moved through the top of the tube due to the vertical motion created by rising air. Typically, on UGFs, you would have a head on the top of the tube with a charcoal filter.

This was all changed by powerheads, which use a syphoning to get the water movement.

The goal was to pull the waste through the gravel into the UGF, where it sat and often messed up water quality.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

In the case of very small tanks like a 2G tank, there are no power heads for this correct ?

Here is some info. that I found in this regard.

http://aquariumservices.com/most_mis_filt.html

Vijay
Old 07-13-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you keeping in this tank?
Old 07-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just one Betta. That is it.

Vijay
Old 07-13-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

And there is a plant too
Old 07-13-2003, 04:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MicroFish Send a message via AIM to MicroFish
I have my bettas in this EXACT setup. They dont' come w/ a carbon filter head so I had to go out and buy some. Go to PetsMart or somewhere (measure the diamter of your tube first) and buy a carbon filterhead for it. It will then clean the water.

Since I just have bettas in mine, I tend to simply clean the water and gravel every month and rince out my makeshift filterhead. There really is no way to put another type of filter on these small tanks so the UG filter is as good as it gets. Are you planning to do monthly water changes and gravel cleaning? If so, you probably won't have to worry about the carbon top, depending on what type of fish you keep in it.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well then the underground filter will be fine. In my 5 gallon betta tank I just use a small box filter and never clean it (no carbon just a sponge). Just make sure to do weekly water changes (probably 50% in that tank). Once the bacteria gets going strong you don't want to mess to much with the filter anyway. Bettas like the temp around the low 70's so the heater won't be a real problem turing on too much if you keep it in a warm room.

They are great fish. What colour?

Tags
filter, stem, system, undergravel, undergravel filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com