Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolunchbox
I ordered my fluval flora tank!! I'm pretty excited! Ordered some aquaclear biomax filter media, water conditioner, complete water test kit, and some extra sponges to start. Also ordered some extra fluval plant stratum--decided to start with that as my substrate because I like the look of it.

Stuff should arrive by wednesday this week!

My next question is about cycling the tank.

My betta is currently in a bowl, I was thinking of using some of his water to help cycle the tank...maybe dipping the filter media bag into the water to get some bacteria then adding it to one of the filter slots.

I was also thinking of picking up one fish to use for cycling--like a cory or tetras...I want to keep tetras with my betta (hopefully he gets along with them, he's pretty mellow)

Should I wait until cycling is complete to plant some plants, or do some planting first?

Advice appreciated!!!
I'd suggest canceling the fluval filter sponges, I don't even use mine (never did) because I use poly-fil and biomedia where the sponges would go and HBH filter pads in the first 2 slots.

What kind of media is in the betta bowl now and how much water/gravel/decco? If it's enough media and it's cycled now, you should be able to instant cycle the flora IMO/E.

I'm not a fan of getting fish for cycling, but you can plant right away (I always do ).

Old 06-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ahh my aquarium arrived shattered. Have to send back and try again! I read that this happens, of course it happens to me.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ahh my aquarium arrived shattered. Have to send back and try again! I read that this happens, of course it happens to me.
Bummer. You're the 2nd person it has happend to in the last couple weeks or so. I paid about $10 more for mine instore, than I saw online and glad I did .
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #14

On the bright side they are sending a new one (hopefully packed better) over night shipping and they are letting us keep the broken one--which means an extra light, substrate, filter, etc. Woo!

Let's hope this one arrives intact, otherwise we'll have to go find it in a store ha!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
On the bright side they are sending a new one (hopefully packed better) over night shipping and they are letting us keep the broken one--which means an extra light, substrate, filter, etc. Woo!

Let's hope this one arrives intact, otherwise we'll have to go find it in a store ha!
That's a sweet deal, since the light alone sells for $37 at my LFS and the filter/co2 units are $20 each.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #16

Second tank has arrived and we put it together! Hooray!

I do have a question...we've added the water and the substrate and of course the water is turbid at the moment...is it all right to run the filter while the water is turbid or should we wait until the substrate settles more?

Pictures to come!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

YEAH! it came in one piece . Did they pack it better this time? lol

I'd let it settle myself since you're just starting it and even use a cup to scoop to out dirty water. When you pour, use a plate to pour on so it doesn't stir the substrate.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #18

Completed tank (2 months later)

Hi!! I completed my planted tank. It is now fully cycled and contains:
2 cory cats
4 pinnoccio shrimp
plants: 2 amazon swords, 2 anubias, some java moss attached to driftwood, a red cryptocoryne and some grasses in the front

I want to be able to add my betta shortly, but we've been on vacation so I wanted to wait until we were back so we could monitor him.

Everything is going swimmingly--the only problems we are having are the diatom algae growing on leaves (shrimps can't seem to keep up with cleaning it fast enough) and some mold/fungus problems with our driftwood.

Thinking about taking the driftwood out to scrape the mold off, but others seems to say it's natural and will go away after a few weeks or months. It's quite unsightly though!

Here's a photo from a couple weeks ago:

Here's a link to my build:

Thanks for all the help on building a wonderful tank!

Tags
betta, cap, small tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com