Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG
Have you tried an XP3 canister yet Con? Not expensive, reliable and very durable real easy to clean. I've had mine for years and I haven't had any issues and still with original parts. I'm using the XP3 and AC-110 in my 75g and they both work wonders.
I was actually looking at that. But I haven't tried it. I may give it a chance.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Have you tried an XP3 canister yet Con? Not expensive, reliable and very durable real easy to clean. I've had mine for years and I haven't had any issues and still with original parts. I'm using the XP3 and AC-110 in my 75g and they both work wonders.
I love Rena XP filters and hated my Fluval. I know the Fluvals have been improved over the years but it was such a pain to keep going on my 55 planted tank. Cleaning the XP is night and day from my old Fluval. I even have the output split so one goes through my co2 reactor and the other goes through an inline heater. Couldn't be happier.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the input.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Look at cascade canisters too. I had 2 on my 125 before I sold it. Used them for 2-3 years and haven't had one issue.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
Look at cascade canisters too. I had 2 on my 125 before I sold it. Used them for 2-3 years and haven't had one issue.
Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Have had mine on my 54g bowfront for a year and a half it's really nice easy to clean and reliable!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

Do you REALLY need the ceramic bio media etc or are the sponges enough? I'm just kinda brain storming about a new canister since I'm really not pleased with the one I have. I'm leaning towards the XP3

Can I just use the sponges? In the Fluval I only have one rack with bio media everything else is empty and of course I have the stock sponges.

Your thoughts?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IMO no you dont really need to. I used to fill my cans with pillow stuffing from walmart. No sponges or ceramic.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I have a question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

Do you REALLY need the ceramic bio media etc or are the sponges enough? I'm just kinda brain storming about a new canister since I'm really not pleased with the one I have. I'm leaning towards the XP3

Can I just use the sponges? In the Fluval I only have one rack with bio media everything else is empty and of course I have the stock sponges.

Your thoughts?
Although you absolutely don't I do have to admit the rings provide a lot of surface area for BB so I'd say some are worth keeping. I had to ditch two of my sponges and 1 chamber full of rings as I couldn't fit every thing in my HOB's.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
IMO no you dont really need to. I used to fill my cans with pillow stuffing from walmart. No sponges or ceramic.
I do agree that poly-fill is a nice inexpensive alternative to sponges / ceramic. It's what's used in those old school bubblers petland disc still uses.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com