So far not impressed with canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I thank all of you for your input. I think I'm gonna do 1 tray with the rings and leave the rest with poly floss/filter floss and the sponges.

Looks like after doing a lot of reading and research that the XP is gonna win. Most likely the XP3 but I do see a XP4 :)

Convict2161 said:
Well I thank all of you for your input. I think I'm gonna do 1 tray with the rings and leave the rest with poly floss/filter floss and the sponges.

Looks like after doing a lot of reading and research that the XP is gonna win. Most likely the XP3 but I do see a XP4 :)

Yeah I was gonna say for you African tank xp4 would be the way to go and on amazon it's just a few bucks more.

Personally I do use the stars and the ceramic rings I don't see any problem taken them out though.

Also the first sponge on top I have replaced with the filter floss pad from intank that I use for my BioCube just cut to fit. It works great!

Sharkbait54 said:
Yeah I was gonna say for you African tank xp4 would be the way to go and on amazon it's just a few bucks more.

Personally I do use the stars and the ceramic rings I don't see any problem taken them out though.

Also the first sponge on top I have replaced with the filter floss pad from intank that I use for my BioCube just cut to fit. It works great!

I think I'm gonna do that! And trust me I have cases of that stuff from inTank for my cube as well. My thinks I'm nuts. I literally have 4 cases in the closet!!!

Convict2161 said:
I think I'm gonna do that! And trust me I have cases of that stuff from inTank for my cube as well. My thinks I'm nuts. I literally have 4 cases in the closet!!!

Yeah I've fallen in love with it I need to go ahead and order a bunch too :)

Eheims are both the Cadillacs, Jeeps, and Hummers of the canister filter world. I have been nothing but impressed with all of the Eheims I've experienced, and have never heard anything bad about them.

Also, my Rena tried to electrocute me once. I don't trust it :ermm:

aqua_chem said:
Eheims are both the Cadillacs, Jeeps, and Hummers of the canister filter world. I have been nothing but impressed with all of the Eheims I've experienced, and have never heard anything bad about them.

Also, my Rena tried to electrocute me once. I don't trust it :ermm:

Next tank I get ima try to get an ehiem I've heard wonders.

I have a question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

Do you REALLY need the ceramic bio media etc or are the sponges enough? I'm just kinda brain storming about a new canister since I'm really not pleased with the one I have. I'm leaning towards the XP3

Can I just use the sponges? In the Fluval I only have one rack with bio media everything else is empty and of course I have the stock sponges.

Your thoughts?

here's how I use it.

1st basket - 20 PPI foam x2, followed with 30 PPI foam x2, basket cover
2nd - ceramic rings, carbon bag, basket cover
3rd - I stuff this basket with 100% poly ( filter floss) , then top it off with the micro pad, basket cover.
I've always used poly and most times when cleaning the canister I only replace the poly and micro pad. Everything else is rinsed and reused.

Back
Top Bottom