So far not impressed with canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had the Fluval fx5 for less then a year and so far.

I've had to have sent to me replacement knobs that deal the lid, and I've called several times about a loud humming, buzzing sound from the canister. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and it stops. A few days later it will happen again.

I've taken it all apart and cleaned it real good inside and out, taken the impeller out and cleaned that as well as looked at the motor etc.

Still no change and customer service has been no help to say the least. I've called several times and they pretty much have nothing to say.

I gotta be honest it sounds like I know more about what I'm talking about then they do.

I may try a different canister if anyone had suggestions.

Last edited:
It sounds like your are sucking air into the system or a something is causing a cavitation and injecting air into your system. Start by checking all connections and make sure the intake is not near any air stone. All it takes is one small bubble to get trapped in the pump.

ezy33 said:
It sounds like your are sucking air into the system or a something is causing a cavitation and injecting air into your system. Start by checking all connections and make sure the intake is not near any air stone. All it takes is one small bubble to get trapped in the pump.

Thanks. Everything I sealed tight and no air stone is use. Also I moved the intake up so its not so close to the bottom of the tank (sand substrate) just to be safe. It was going good for about 3 weeks maybe a month and started again yesterday.

Customer service had nothing to offer and I'm not exaggerating. You've said more already then they have.

That sucks! I remember how psyched you were when you got it .. wasn't it a gift from your wife?

I hope it gets sorted out ... but if not ... plenty of other models out there. I made the switch from a Canister to an HOB. I miss that 404, but I do have to admit how easy it is to pull the "media basket" from the AC-70 .. I just did it last night to rearrange the biomax, foam and add Poly-fill.

jcolon said:
That sucks! I remember how psyched you were when you got it .. wasn't it a gift from your wife?

I hope it gets sorted out ... but if not ... plenty of other models out there. I made the switch from a Canister to an HOB. I miss that 404, but I do have to admit how easy it is to pull the "media basket" from the AC-70 .. I just did it last night to rearrange the biomax, foam and add Poly-fill.

Yea wife got it for me. Honestly I was thinking of just adding another AC110 and calling it a day. This thing is for the birds....

Truly been a pain!!

Two AC-110's in a 75gal should definitely get the job done. Still, it'll be a shame to put that FX-5 aside. I had no choice with my 404 but it was tough to let it go.
Oh well ... keep us updated.

I'm considering asking for a second AC-70 or a 50 for the holidays and using that in place of the 20gal capacity Marineland HOB I have running alongside my 70.

jcolon said:
Two AC-110's in a 75gal should definitely get the job done. Still, it'll be a shame to put that FX-5 aside. I had no choice with my 404 but it was tough to let it go.
Oh well ... keep us updated.

I'm considering asking for a second AC-70 or a 50 for the holidays and using that in place of the 20gal capacity Marineland HOB I have running alongside my 70.

I'll keep you update. So far it hasn't done it again since the other day. I'll keep watching it.

Also your right. There a pain to clean!! UGH!

See! It knows it's on a short leash, so it's behaving. Like the sick kid who's suddenly ok when at the doctors.

Have you tried an XP3 canister yet Con? Not expensive, reliable and very durable real easy to clean. I've had mine for years and I haven't had any issues and still with original parts. I'm using the XP3 and AC-110 in my 75g and they both work wonders.

JimmyG said:
Have you tried an XP3 canister yet Con? Not expensive, reliable and very durable real easy to clean. I've had mine for years and I haven't had any issues and still with original parts. I'm using the XP3 and AC-110 in my 75g and they both work wonders.

I was actually looking at that. But I haven't tried it. I may give it a chance.

JimmyG said:

I love Rena XP filters and hated my Fluval. I know the Fluvals have been improved over the years but it was such a pain to keep going on my 55 planted tank. Cleaning the XP is night and day from my old Fluval. I even have the output split so one goes through my co2 reactor and the other goes through an inline heater. Couldn't be happier.

Look at cascade canisters too. I had 2 on my 125 before I sold it. Used them for 2-3 years and haven't had one issue.

JimmyG said:

Have had mine on my 54g bowfront for a year and a half it's really nice easy to clean and reliable!

I have a question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

Do you REALLY need the ceramic bio media etc or are the sponges enough? I'm just kinda brain storming about a new canister since I'm really not pleased with the one I have. I'm leaning towards the XP3

Can I just use the sponges? In the Fluval I only have one rack with bio media everything else is empty and of course I have the stock sponges.

Your thoughts?

IMO no you dont really need to. I used to fill my cans with pillow stuffing from walmart. No sponges or ceramic.

I have a question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

Do you REALLY need the ceramic bio media etc or are the sponges enough? I'm just kinda brain storming about a new canister since I'm really not pleased with the one I have. I'm leaning towards the XP3

Can I just use the sponges? In the Fluval I only have one rack with bio media everything else is empty and of course I have the stock sponges.

Your thoughts?

Although you absolutely don't I do have to admit the rings provide a lot of surface area for BB so I'd say some are worth keeping. I had to ditch two of my sponges and 1 chamber full of rings as I couldn't fit every thing in my HOB's.

IMO no you dont really need to. I used to fill my cans with pillow stuffing from walmart. No sponges or ceramic.

I do agree that poly-fill is a nice inexpensive alternative to sponges / ceramic. It's what's used in those old school bubblers petland disc still uses.

Back
Top Bottom