Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

So many bad words

So i dont know if you guys remember but i bought a Nova extreme from cjldad a while back for my 75g. Great seller everything went smoothly. But i cam home to day from dinner and it smells like my rooms on fire. As i am scrambling to find out whats on fire i realize its my nova extreme. So i am all and i am ticked. So i unplug it right away and flip it over to see the problem. 1 of the light bulbs have melted out of the sockets and looked to catch on fire. I was all and cursing at the sky. I instuntly took pics and sent the following email into nova extreme.

"About 8 months ago i purchased a Nova extreme 2 bulb system from someone on a forum sight. It was unopen and they bought it and never used it. When i bought it from them it had a loose socket at the end of 1 of the lights. I pushed it in and everything has been working fine since. I cam home tonight and it had melted through the plastic socket at the end of the bulb and almost caused a electrical fire. It was obviously from the way ti was built and i was wondering if you guys could do something about it? The light has worked wonders on my plants and is a wonderful light but it nearly set my house on fire. So is there anything you can do about it?

Below is a link to a picture of the damage and there is also a attachment.
Imageshack - dscf4166g.jpg - Uploaded by Etunes

Sincerely,
Ian"

Now i did see a problem when i bought it that the socket was loose but it just popped back in no biggy. Has not givin me ANY problems since, not 1. Not even then, turned on just fine. No wires sticking out, just the plastic piece. So now i am sitting here waiting for a reply. So FREAKIN MAD as my house could have been burnt down while i wasent home. So now i have no light. SO ANGRY. Anyone have a light for sale?

BTW Pic of damage,

Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

CRAP, So mad i just realized i put 8 months ago. It was only 4 months ago.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol, I'm gonna laugh if they say, sorry sir were only allowed to replace products if they are under 5 months old, your product is 8 months, as you stated. You email them back and tell them it was a typo and they start using fancy words meaning liar. Lol I hope someone replaces it free is it led or fluorescent? I was looking though a fish catalog and saw they were like 200 dollars for the cheapest model.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a 2 bulb t5ho, I immediately emailed them back saying i was upset and i mistyped 8 months when it was suppost to be 4.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'll be curious to see the outcome of this. Sorry to hear your light crapped out on you.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am also curios as to the answer you receive , as I have a Nova Extreme T5 HO light . Luckily I am at home most of the day , everyday .
Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well more bad words. Woke up this morning and my 20g filter which is a H.O.T. magnum is having trouble going as the tank is over infested with BBA and i plant to break the tank down after i medicate the fish in the tank. Also my Cascade 100 sum how stopped pumping water and i didnt notice it for a day or 2 i guess and the propeller is melted in the motor. So NOW i got to call them. Tried calling them and they didnt pick up even though it is within the business hours.

On a good note got a pleasing email from Current-USA. It was the following,

"Thank you for contacting Current-USA.

We’re sorry about the problem you experienced with the light fixture. From the photo you sent and your description it sounds as though one of the sockets was initially broken in shipment, either to the original consumer or to you. The base of the socket under the mounting plate snaps off and results in the socket not sitting firmly in position. This fixture should never have been used and should have been reported to the original dealer for replacement.

If you would like to send the fixture into us we will repair the fixture at no charge, or if you prefer we can send you out a replacement socket to fix the fixture. If you want to send the fixture in just let us know your return address on where to send the repaired fixture and what model fixture it is (length if you don’t havr the model #).

Thanks,"

I think i am gonna send the fixture in but is there anyone that can walk me through replacing it? I might be able to talk my friend which is a electician into helping me. I will call tomorrow as they gave me a number. So i will report back then.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you solder? If you get a socket with wires attached:
- Cut the wires from the burned socket, leaving them as long as possible.
- Strip a 1/2" of insulation off the end of all the wires.
- Slip a 1" piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire and slide it out of the way.
- Twist the corresponding wires together.
- Solder the wires together.
- Let the wires cool.
- Pull the heat shrink tubing over the connection and shrink it with a lighter.

If done correctly, you should have a good watertight connection.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

etunes, send it back to them. The short may have fryed your ballast too.
Let the pro's fix it...you will sleep better.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
etunes, send it back to them. The short may have fryed your ballast too.
Let the pro's fix it...you will sleep better.
II plan too, i emailed them back and no response yet. I tried the number they gave me but every extension tells me to go to there site so idk.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com