So tell me about RO/DI units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been thinking about just breaking down and buying one, quite honestly I'm tired of haveing to haul it from the LFS and it should be cheaper too.

So what all is involved? What do I need to look for in a RO/DI unit? Should I get just a RO unit and attach a DI unit seperate to have drinking water? Do I need a pump to push the water though the unit or is regualar tap water pressure enough? Thanks

I just got one last week, and it is a RO/DI unit. I noticed that the process is very slow, and the amount of waste water is 2-3 times as much as the final product water. The dealer says I can add a pressure booster to help with this. But it is nice not having to haul the water from the LFS.

AndyH5512... Ive heard of this problem before.. do you have any idea what your home's water line psi is roughtly? I hope I dont have this problem when I get one.. I have a good 80psi and have been debating getting a restricting valve from the hardware store to relive some of the preasure on my pipes.. I just dont know how much is needed for these RO/DI's to function properly.. I dont want to go spend $40-50 on a valve that I will end up having to adjust wide open to get my RO/DI to work properly.. :lol:

RO/DI units generally require 35-40psi to function properly. Low psi is typically associated with private wells, gravity fed systems or high rise locations. Optimum psi is generally around 65psi. Booster pumps should add about 50-60psi. Max psi is generally in the 100-110psi. I believe filter life is impacted once you're in the triple digit range. HTH.

I have a ro/di and my well give me pressure that goes up to 50 psi and down to 35 beofre the pump brings it back up to 50 at the ro/di. I would burn through resin after a few months.
I got a 8800 booster pump on ebay at a real great price 75$ and it was worth every penny.
You can adjust the pump to run at high or low pressure, I run mine at 80psi and it works great. I put all new filters on in May and I still have a 1 TDS after the Di unit. Normally I would have had to change out the resin by now. I would not run it any higher then 80 psi becaue my ro/du unit says max 75psi.

Back
Top Bottom