Solaris LED "Light Bar"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aasu03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

So they cost a TON upfront but a couple years down the road, they are cheaper. Right?

The Solaris LED 72" is about $3,500.

The Outer Orbit 72" 250w model is about $1,200.
A chiller is potentially needed for the added heat $500-$1000
Annual bulb change (3-Halide and 8-PCs) is about $500.
I won't even estimate the running cost.

That is an initial investment of about $2,000 with an annual investment of about $500. In 3-4 years the Solaris paid for itself. Right?

So aside from the upfront cost, what is the drawback? Your thoughts?

Regards,
Jimmy T.

IMO, this technology is still too new for the sw hobby. I think there were programming issues with the first release of those, and I think they are on the 3rd release now.

Those prices just confirm why I like to go the DIY route. My 72" lighting system with 3 175 mh's and 2 VHO's (855w total) cost about 1/3 of the Outer Orbit unit.

If you go with T5 HO then you can DIY for even less. It depends on the depth of your tank and what you want to keep. T5 bulbs can last as long as 18 months and are pretty cheap to replace so that I think is the most cost effective option if they work with your setup plans.

The thing that is really awesome about the Solaris is the dimming capability since they are just high powered LED's. Simple voltage regulator and VOLA! Dusk/Dawn effect, **** the thing will even randomize itself like the weather does.

New and exciting yes, if I have a lottery hit it will be my lighting of choice with MH/T5's as a backup.

...That is an initial investment of about $2,000 with an annual investment of about $500. In 3-4 years the Solaris paid for itself. Right? Looks like it from your calculations, assuming it lasts that long as it is rather unproven technology in our hobby. Though if you really want to pick a fight with the MH elite, factor in cooling costs : P

So aside from the upfront cost, what is the drawback? Your thoughts? From what I have read, the unknown is the biggest drawback. That and there are folks who seem to believe MH is the end all beat all for lighting. Its hard to swallow some new technology sometimes...

Just my observations...

Yeah, I listed the potential chiller costs associated with the MH. I wish someone that uses the Solaris would chime in. As you stated "PC" the only potential downside is the unknown. The initial cost totally sucks but will pay for itself considering it is proven technology.

So, if you've got a Solaris LED.... HOLLA!

I think you are going to be the guinea pig of LED lighting. I for one am waiting for your report (and the winning lottery numbers)!.

I was doing some surfing and found a new product www.longtiottileds.com
I bought some and they were fantastic. very bright and clear light, and very well made. I like the fact that I can control the blues and the white if I want. also they are afordable. this was a full LED setup and I did not complete 90 gal tank for under $1000. I AM A BELIEVER IN LEDS!

I am seriously thinking about getting this for my 55. I want to believe....What do you folks think?
Really? Not trying to be funny, but $2,789 for a 48" fixture? Or were you looking at the cheaper one for $1,449? Solaris Store
That's way over my budget for lighting, but I guess if you got the $$$, why not give it a shot. Then let us know how they are. ;)

I'd really like to know your opinion if you get one. I've read all the stuff on their site but that just marketing stuff. The actual users opinion seems to be more truthful most times.

I agree about the cost but I am itching to give it a try. They are still in the infantile stages (like buying a new model of car), so I am still really trying to decide.

Back
Top Bottom