Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
You can get a fluval 404 for less than $100 and it would be more than enough for that tank. Even a 304 would work.

Re: a UV, you are either going to have to get a jebo or spend close to $200 for one of the ones that Tank Girl is talking about. Personally I would not spend $200 on a UV, but if its in your budget knock yourself out.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Good points made by all -- thanks for the help. At this point, I think I'm just going to ask for the Fluval 404. I know it can be purchased locally, and I am hearing nothing but good things about them.

I won't worry about the UV for now.

I'm still uncertain about the lighting. I may just go to one of my LFS and see what they can tell me. I recall him trying to sell me a used fixture for $185 a month or so ago... I wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not, though. I'll get the specs for you guys so that you can give me your .02.

Pacifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
The fluval 404 is generaly $160 at a LFS.
A CF lighing outfit from the LFS would run over $200.. I wouldnt pay more then $100 for any used lighting unless it had multiple MH + CF in it...
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Here are a few things I pulled up for 2x65w lighting in the 48" length:

Some are just under $100, which I think is excellent. You are looking at Coralife and USA Current Satellite fixtures above. I have both brands and I think they are very comparable, and usually the USA Current fixtures can be had for much less than the Coralife when purchasing retail.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
I use a Jebo 828 ,the same as a CSF4,with no problems. The filter is extremely quiet,easy to maintain,and has all the features of the Eheim Pro 2. Check out superfishstore.com for great prices. I once purchased the smaller 9 watt Jebo UV as a recomendation for a small pond. It helped,but your better off with the larger unit.Most units recommend bulb replacement every season.
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via ICQ to DocBaker69 Send a message via Yahoo to DocBaker69
Jebo CSF4

I purchased an odyssea CSF4 from fishman911 on ebay (come to find out he's like 10 miles from me) and it is a wonderful filter...may go and get some more just for the helluvit. Easy to set up and easy to maintain...he has them for 44.95 + s&h. can't beat that price with a stick...especially when I saw the same filter in one fish store for 219.99 and another for 159.99. grab 'em while ya can!!!
DocBaker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Docbaker69 Check out aquatraders.com CFS4 for $39.99 superfishstore.com also sells them.
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to LAGlocker Send a message via Yahoo to LAGlocker
As for the moonlights on the fixture, if they are moonlights and not actinic bulbs, then those are simply there to light the tank at night, to make for better night time viewing of your fish and so you can actually watch your nocturnal fish act as they normally would at night. most of the moonlights are supposed to be set up so that the fish doesnt see the light, or think it is actually the moon shining down through the water. I actually have a 1watt led moonlight on one of my tanks and love how it looks

Live in or around Alabama? Why dont you check out the Alabama Regional Forum.

Sold all tanks but
29 gal planted(lightly) tank now with 10 neons, 9 serpae tetras, 4 otos, 2 kribs and 3 gourami for the moment.
LAGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com