sorry, another protein skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried searching past posts on this but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for so I'm sorry for posting a question that has probably already been answered a million times.

I'm new to SW and recently inherited a 26G SW FOWLR tank and the protein skimmer doesn't seem to be working correctly. I think I probably need to replace it. I've seen recommendations for the Octopus NW150 but it is described as "sump only" and not only do I not have a sump, I don't even know what one is.

Can anyone recommend a "good value" protein skimmer (under $200) that can hang off the back of my tank and has the capacity to work on a 46 gallon tank should I decide that this new hobby is so addicitive that I need to scale up a bit?

Thank you!! This is a great website. And I see that we're now back to #1 on the Aquarank site!

i say save your money and worry about the skimmer when you upgrade your tank, lots of LR and good flow will be all you need on your 26gal.

The tank currently has a filter and a skimmer and an airstone. After last weekend's disaster during which most of my new friends perished (see sick forum) I'm down to three clowns, an eel, and a wrasse. And there may be a horseshoe crab in there somewhere, I haven't seen him since I moved the tank 1 1/2 weeks ago.

At the moment, I only have one live rock. Maybe I should invest in more LR rather than a new skimmer? And don't I need a powerhead or two? What else am I missing?

Thanks - I'm out of my league!

well what all do you have in there right now for equipment? yes you should have a powerhead in there to move the water through your LR. LR is you biological filter and is necessary for any tank to thrive

Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Very good skimmer. Around 120 dollars. We sell them in my store and use them on our systems. They do a great job. We use the ones that are rated higher. But the 65 is good for tanks up to 65 gallons. So you would be great cause you always wana go over and beyond the requirements.

Back
Top Bottom