sorry another Q for me...pls answer :D *EDIT*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok.. I just found out that my return pump runs about 600gph but my overflow only runs about 300gph..(I think) since it says PF-300 on the model.. anyways is there anyway I can balance this thing out?.. or is it ok that my pump is stronger... I have heard of people using valves but I read on most sites that its not a good idea to use it as it should always be fully open.. Thanks in Advance!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that you want an overflow that is rated higher than the pump itself, or you may run into problems.

One thing about your pump is that it might be rated that but by the time you figure head pressure and any bends in your plumbing then you are not going to have that much pressure. You might find them to be close anyway.

ok.. but I'm Gonna use just a flexibe tube.. should I give it a try?... or is it gonna be a big risk of a flood on my aquarium

What kind of pump is it ? Brand and type? Also What is the distance from where the pump will be to the top of the main? I`ll see what I can find out.

Its fr-600 Flow rite.. it came with the sump that I traded for my fishes.. I dont think he used that pump when he had the sump going.

I cant find that one but I`m thinking 600 GPH at a 4 ft head I would think it would be close to what your overflow is. Anybody else have any ideas. I`m not the most technical on the subject of pumps. Somebody correct me if I`m wrong.

I just measured and found out I got exactly 4 ft., I guess I should try it out... does anybody have scale for this?.. I think I've seen one before but couldn't find it

anybody?... still scared to try it out.. and waiting for the U tube I ordered to make it work!... should I add more tubing to be safe? or is 4 ft fine... how much GPH should I have for a 300 gph flow? TIA

Put a plastic valve in after your pump. If the overflow can't keep up with the pump, you can close the valve a bit and slow down the return flow.
4' of tubing is fine, you just don't want lot of extra tubing for the water to flow thu and add to the head pressure.

ok.. I will try that.. though I have read from articles that putting valve and not leaving it all the way open is a bad idea, but I guess that its my last solution, so ima give it a shot.. oh and some glue! :D

You could put a T and a valve on the return line. Opening the valve would reduce the flow into the tank by returning it back to the sump.

Or if your pump is just a little too much you could add a SCWD Reef Current Wave Maker to reduce some of the flow.

IME I had a 950 GPH pump with two overflows and still used a valve on the pump output. Never on the input. On the output it is the same as more head height. 600 GPH may be ok.

Back
Top Bottom