Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sound proofing a cabinet with a canister filter in it

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with sound proofing a canister filter. I currently have my canister filter in a cabinet under my 180 gallon fish tank. I have already hanged carpet inside the walls in the cabinet, but that only helped just a little bit. It seems that most of the sound the canister is producing is low frequency sound. I think I am going to build some kind of structure around the canister filter to block the low freq. sound coming from it. Anybody have any suggestions on material I should use? Or any other tips?

jasonwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
What kind of canister is it? Mine dont make a peep You might try sitting it on some foam or something to see if its vibrations against the floor or bottom of stand.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would agree with rookie. Try to see if its a vibration. Check to see if you pick it up or move it around if anything changes. If not (depending on what filter it is) check for debris in and around propeller. If all is clear and nothing changes with movement then check what it is on. Is it resignating the sound? Then if still loud, then build you a box around it and fill it with acoustic foam (egg crate like for bed). But in general, I have several canister filters and they make almost no sound.
Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
if its not vibration, try your local car stereo installer shop and see if they have any offcuts of dynamat. its what they use to soundproof cars and works pretty well.
bobberwobber is offline   Reply With Quote

cabinet, canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com