I'm so tired of getting conflicting information, please help if you have any experience with the Orbit Lighting System.
I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium with mostly rainbows, and I wanted to add live plants. I did a lot of research and knew that I'd have to drastically upgrade my lighting. This research included speaking with a tech at the large online aquarium supply company where I ordered my new equipment.
I ordered the 48" Orbit with Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k and Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm. I had read in my research that the actinic bulbs wouldn't contribute to the growth of the plants; but I thought the daylight bulbs would provide plenty of wpg
, and the actinic bulbs sure make the entire tank look great; plus I got moonlights.
I absolutely teetotally love this light, but I had to call the company today because, from day one, the fan makes an awful racket (like something is going to tear up) after it runs for a little while. There is no problem with the warranty with this company; but during the conversation, the lady that I spoke with told me several things.
1. The daylight bulbs are not the right spectrum for plants.
2. The actinic bulbs will HARM both my plants and my fish.
3. There is a recurring problem with the ballast on the Orbit lights.
4. This lighting system is not intended for freshwater tanks.
5. When I told her that the fan only ran when the actinic lights were turned on, she said that the fan should be working all the time and that I should definitely send it back and get another brand. I thought this was how it was designed.
I'm trying to decide if I should dump the whole system and replace it with the other brand that she recommended (no actinic and no moon lights) or return my light for repair or replacement. Let me say that I love the look of the tank, my plants look great, and my fish look great and seem very happy.
Thanks a bunch,