Specific Orbit Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm so tired of getting conflicting information, please help if you have any experience with the Orbit Lighting System.

I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium with mostly rainbows, and I wanted to add live plants. I did a lot of research and knew that I'd have to drastically upgrade my lighting. This research included speaking with a tech at the large online aquarium supply company where I ordered my new equipment.

I ordered the 48" Orbit with Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k and Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm. I had read in my research that the actinic bulbs wouldn't contribute to the growth of the plants; but I thought the daylight bulbs would provide plenty of wpg, and the actinic bulbs sure make the entire tank look great; plus I got moonlights.

I absolutely teetotally love this light, but I had to call the company today because, from day one, the fan makes an awful racket (like something is going to tear up) after it runs for a little while. There is no problem with the warranty with this company; but during the conversation, the lady that I spoke with told me several things.

1. The daylight bulbs are not the right spectrum for plants.
2. The actinic bulbs will HARM both my plants and my fish.
3. There is a recurring problem with the ballast on the Orbit lights.
4. This lighting system is not intended for freshwater tanks.
5. When I told her that the fan only ran when the actinic lights were turned on, she said that the fan should be working all the time and that I should definitely send it back and get another brand. I thought this was how it was designed.

I'm trying to decide if I should dump the whole system and replace it with the other brand that she recommended (no actinic and no moon lights) or return my light for repair or replacement. Let me say that I love the look of the tank, my plants look great, and my fish look great and seem very happy.

Thanks a bunch,
Debbie

I have the Satellite (made by the same company, Current) on my 20gal and I love it. I took out the supplied 10,000K/Actinic and put in a Coralife 6700K. But I will attempt the awnsers:

1.) The 6700/10000 bulbs are fine for plants and are the proper spectrum
2.) The Actinics wont harm your fish and they wont harm the plants, they just wont help growth.
3.) Dunno about Orbit but my Satellite has had no problems
4.) Out of the box no, due to the Actinic Lights
5.) I would send it back if I were you.

If you really want moonlights get the Coralife Freshwater aqualights and buy the Current Lunar links http://www.current-usa.com/products/lunarlights.html

Do you mean replace the system, or have it repaired?

Thank you for your time.

1. Those bulbs are fine.
2. Actinics can actually promote bushier growth in plants...they just can't be counted towards your total wattage/intensity.
3. I've seen tons of reports on problems with these fixtures, including some that never worked, brand new out of the box.
4. Technically it was designed for saltwater use (the actinics are a dead giveaway)...but the bulbs are fine for plants per question #1.
5. File the warranty claim and hope you get a replacement that isn't 'quirky'. You've already dropped the cash on this, may as well try to make it work.

I've got the same brand of lighting on my tank and the only problem I've had is similar to yours, one of my fans started rattling. I was much too lazy to box it back up and send it in so I took it apart and ended up removing the fan guard. This solved my rattling issue but of course now the fan will dice up my fingers should I, for some reason, decide I need to stick them inside my lighting fixture while it is running. So far I've had no problems avoiding that :p

And I have to agree with you, the actinics really make the tank look great :D

Thanks to all of you for the confirmation that these lights won't hurt my fish. I thought I was right, but the woman that I spoke with was so emphatic that I had to double check. I've also sent an email to Current USA. I hope they respond, but I'm sure now that I'll keep this system.

Thanks again,
Debbie

I have teh Satellite Dual. I replaced the actinics with some 8750k bulb I got at Hellolights.com. I have been nothing but happy with this system myself.

Back
Top Bottom