Sponge filter and Aeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ichthys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just read the Quaratine article and it mentioned that you need extra aeration when using a sponge filter. I have a Hydro 1 in a 10 gallon with 1 adult molly and 26 fry. Should I have additional aeration? I have an airstone..would that be good? Thanks!

Yes, the airstone would suffice just fine. All you trying to do is get more surface agitation to help with the air/water oxygen interchange.

Just a quick note on the fry. If you want to insure they grow properly, be sure to feed them at least 3-4 times daily.

When I have fry in my 10 gallon, I will also change their water 3 times a week. Usually around 15% water change each time. This will actually help them grow a little faster, along with the feedings. HTH :D

Thanks for your help! I will go with the airstone... I actually only have 12 of the little guys left (I gave 14 to the lfs to make room for new ones! ). I've been feeding them crushed tetra tropical flakes and once in a while crushed bloodworms. They also love peas :D
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom