Sponge filter for 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all -

Question for the experts. I need some filtration advice. I have a 55 gallon tank with 6 angelfish and 6 kuhli loaches. I'm currently running an Aqueon Quietflow 75 on it and had also purchased a small canister filter for it, but it was a dud so it's going back to the store (black Friday deal on Marineland canister).

I have on hand/on order: one XL sponge filter rated for 125 gallons, one Fluval C4 HOB (264 GPH), one SunSun 264 GPH canister, and the current Aqueon HOB filter. I don't like the Aqueon filter. It's loud and too big for the tank - it's a corner tank so it has a weird shaped glass top, and the filter doesn't allow the top to close properly.

What combination of these would you run? I was thinking I would do well with just the Fluval C4 and the sponge filter. Any opinions? When I return the Marineland canister, I can purchase a power head for the sponge filter if I go that route. Any suggestions for that? I've only ever run a sponge filter in a small 5 gallon betta tank, and I used a little whisper air pump but I think a powerhead might be better for this.

Fluval and sponge should do fine. I have a standard 55 gallon that I run a sponge filter in that has always done great. I have kept angelfish in it and they seem to prefer the lack of strong current. I use the Deep blue professional 50 sponge which is rated for 125 gallons and I have it on a moderate bubble.

Back
Top Bottom