sponge filter + HOB filter = cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wired76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did a water change last night in my 10 gallon tank. I also cleaned out the intake valve and inner tube of my Top Fin Power 10 HOB filter and replaced the carbon filter. (I didn't remove or rinse the bioplate.) I added a sponge around the intake tube for the first time, since I felt like my water had gotten less clear than it used to be and could use some additional filtration. I tested the water after the change, and everything was normal (20 ppm nitrates as usual, 0 ppm nitrites, 0 ppm ammonia). However, this morning, my tank was extremely cloudy and the ammonia had increased to 1.0 ppm. I removed the sponge filter (which had absorbed a lot of sediment), did a 20% water change, and added 2 mL of Seachem Prime, which I thankfully had just bought!

I'm confused about what happened. I didn't rinse out the bioplate, so I don't think I killed any beneficial bacteria. (I did remove it from the tank. Does it need to have water running over it constantly?) Did the sponge basically block the filter? As I said, it had a lot of sediment in it. Any thoughts would be appreciated! (I also noticed my female platy was now a male, which is another post in a separate thread. It's been an eventful 12 hours!)

Back
Top Bottom