sponge filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
was looking at buying a tank, it comes with a sponge filter. can anyone tell me if these are good? or should i just get a hang over the back filter?

depends on what you are doing. they are great for shrimp tanks or fry tanks. good for seeding new tanks.

Great for most applications other than display.

well the tank will be the home of a bgk, barbs, mollies and ottos, and a couple more. should i just pick up a hang over the back filter?

I use one as a supplement to my general filtration. I have it hiding behind a piece of driftwood. Basically, in time, they become a "hotspot" for good bacteria, which is why I keep mine in the tank. I would add aconventional filter, but if you can find a way to keep the sponge also, that is what I would do.....

Reactions: HN1
I don't have one yet, but will be picking one up soon to supplement my hand ong filter. Mainly to grow the nitrifying bacteria to seed new tanks - I haven't even finished my first tank and i'm starting to plan my second :)

I don't have one yet, but will be picking one up soon to supplement my hand ong filter. Mainly to grow the nitrifying bacteria to seed new tanks - I haven't even finished my first tank and i'm starting to plan my second :)

MTS (multiple tank syndrome) it's an addiction that has no intervention ;)

sponge filters are great. I have two tanks running with only sponges as the filter. A 5 gallon vase and a 20 gallon. I also have sponges in all my bigger tanks to help the other filters. I like to have backup. They need to be cleaned pretty often (never with tap water) more so if using a powerhead instead of air.

lol, and yes i agree about the MTS. I started with a 20gal...got screwed over by the guy at the lfs, after he sold me a dragon goby on the pretences it was a weather loach (don't know anything about loaches, but i know my dragon goby can grow up 2 feet), so i had to go bigger, so i got an 80 gal that will be brackish in about a month i'm thinking. and then he sold me a black ghost knife, lol...you know whats next lol, a bigger tank...and yes i want more, but my space is limited

Back on subject: sponge filters

I have a few running in tanks as back up in case I need to set up an emergency tank (I have 3 QTs up and running but ya never know)

In our river tank, the filter design calls for sponges.

Sponge filters have to be the easiest filters to use and most versatile. Keep them cleaned, doing it the right way and you'll never have issues (unless your air pump decided to crap out *glares*)

Back
Top Bottom