Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

It is actually gravity that causes water to move through the sponges. The air that is in the column from the filter causes the water in the column to be less dense, so the denser water outside the filter moves into the sponge.
So, the greater the distance the air inlet is from the top of the tube, the greater the suction. More air in the tube means more density difference so more suction. Smaller bubbles rise more slowly than large so have more effect on the column density. With smaller bubbles, as from an airstone you can have more air in the tube at one time without displacing all the water.Too much air will actually be counter productive and slow the water entry to the sponge.
To maximize water flow through the sponge have the air inlet as low in the filter as possible, have the lift tube as long as possible, and use fine bubbles. It is possible to have the water shoot several inches beyond the top of the lift tube.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now im using hyrdo111 sponge filter.. I added a longer 1 inch tube about 2-3 inches longer.., and i used an extra air line from the nipple on top to the bottom of the strainer, so the air line tube is at the bottom of the sponge in the inside.. Im currently not using an air stone, but wondering how this setup will work??

Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #13

It is not that the water becomes less dense, this doesn't happen. What creates flow is the physical movement of the bubbles moving through the water (just like moving your hand through water creates a strong current). Larger bubbles move more water and create more flow. Smaller bubbles have a smaller impact.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
It is not that the water becomes less dense, this doesn't happen. What creates flow is the physical movement of the bubbles moving through the water (just like moving your hand through water creates a strong current). Larger bubbles move more water and create more flow. Smaller bubbles have a smaller impact.
The column in the filter is a mixture of water and air, making it less dense than the water outside the filter.. You are also wrong about the bubbles.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #15

If you say so, but I disagree.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

After having the sponge filter in my tank for about a week now i notice my tank is cloudy.. I did test my water with the nitrite being a little on the high side.. Is this common for the early stages of a sponge filter??
Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your tank wasn't cycled before placing the sponge than cloudiness isn't really an issue. THe Nitirties are showing that the good bacteria are starting to form..you should see a rise in Nitrates eventually and Nitrites, and Ammonia, will decrease.

If I am not mistaken you were the one that asked me about that Hydro .

I use them to catch the finer particles of "stuff" that might be floating about, attaching the lift tube to a powerhead. The powerhead will give you that suction and has the added advantage of increasing your water circulation as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
If you say so, but I disagree.
LOl. You can disagree if you want but the science is true. It is the same principle as a pipette. You create a void and water moves in to fill it.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkng1
If your tank wasn't cycled before placing the sponge than cloudiness isn't really an issue. THe Nitirties are showing that the good bacteria are starting to form..you should see a rise in Nitrates eventually and Nitrites, and Ammonia, will decrease.

If I am not mistaken you were the one that asked me about that Hydro .

I use them to catch the finer particles of "stuff" that might be floating about, attaching the lift tube to a powerhead. The powerhead will give you that suction and has the added advantage of increasing your water circulation as well.
Thankyou for the response!! My tank has been set up for about 3 weeks.. I dont have a powerhead but im using air pump.. I extended the air line to the lower part of the sponge filter itself(inside) and added a longer tube and water is basically shooting up the chamber with medium bubbles.. Its strong so its popping like an inch out of water.. Not sure if its the right move but im sure catching more on my sponge..
Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

You did the right thing. The amount of water you have flowing through tells it all.

Tags
filter, filters, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com