Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by BillD
You did the right thing. The amount of water you have flowing through tells it all.
Thanks.. Ive been reading your posts, a lot of useful info there, thanks!

Ant329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
The hydrosponge has a slotted center for water to circulate through. If only you're using the 1" tubing (or something similar) for the center of the sponge holes in the tube will allow water to circulate the same way as the slots.
If you want strong filtration use a powerhead for the sponge rather than an airline. I use the penguin reverse-flow replacement sponges inside aquaclear quickfilter housings and on all my hob and canister filter intakes to keep them from getting clogged with duckweed or other plant debris.

toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
Upgraded to powerhead.. I have hyrdo sponge III or the quick filter powerhead attatchment made by aquaclear, which would you guys use??
Ant329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a little confused as to why you want more suction. I have found the least amount of air the better. Too much air will pull the debris right through the sponge and back into the tank thus defeating their purpose. I have found a moderate air flow works best and keeps my tanks crystal clear as well as performing the biological filtration they were designed to do. I am currently running 20+ tanks in my fish room with nothing but sponge filters and a few have bubble corner filters too. One of my 75 gallon tanks runs solely on 2 Angels Plus sponge filters with a low to moderate air flow and 1bubble filter (Lees Economy) with high air flow. I have over 20 mature breeder size angel fish in the tank. Water is crystal clear with outstanding biological constraints.
Badger50NY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #25
Agreed. I think strong air flow is what will allow them to work the best, it is what they are designed to do.

Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com