Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sponge filters

Im curious to see the responses i get regarding sponge filters.. I actually bought 2 for the price that they are, but different name brands due to them only having one of each left in stock.. One is deep blue professional system 30, and other is hydro sponge III.., with the hydro being more expensive.. Imho i think the blue sponge on the deep blue sponge is a little tougher.. But the hydro has a better base and tighter piece fit. Any advice? Also looking for a way to create more suction, longer 1 inch tube?? 1/2 inch tube?Shorter tube? No tube?? Bigger air stone?? I hear that the lower the airstone in the tank creates more suction so i added a piece of tubing to drop the stone lower in the basket.. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #2

Stronger air flow will increase water flow (I assume that is what you meand by 'suction'). I have seen the Deep Blue ones, haven't realyl looked into them because of the hideous bright blue sponge. I use Azoo's sponge filters because of the multiple sizes and shapes (including suction cupping to the back wall). They are great filters if used in the right tank.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, I actually got sponge pre filters for my Aqua Clears from this website. I think they are awesome. Made of the same sponge material as yours but slip on the intake tube.

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/PreFilter.html

There is plenty of info about the air driven ones.

They should serve you well. Hope this helps. I just didn't want to retype what they have already done well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thankyou for the responses!! Im looking to make my sponge filter suck more like as a vacuum suction.. Like i wanna see debri thats flying around go to the sponge.. Any ideas?? Also almost every DIY youtube video on making sponge filters, their chimney( 1 inch tubing) has holes but the ones you buy in stores dont have the holes in the chimney.. Whats the difference??
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/...l#instructions

This several recommendations on how to get more from the sponge filters.... I haven't used any of these options but just passing along some reasearch that I've done....

Wayne

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

I use both the hydrosponge type and the basic square ones, both premade and DIY. As mentioned above, the air flow will determine a lot about the speed that it sucks stuff up. Also I think it's better to use large bubbles rather than many small ones, but I don't know if it makes a huge difference.

Sponge filters aren't meant to just suck all the dirt in immediately like a HOB or canister does, they are slow and tend to only pick up the floating stuff. They are still great cheap form of filtration though, especially biofiltration. I have in between 3 to 4 dozen of them running currently.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could you send me a picture of your homemade one?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

I did a writeup on it a while back somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

It's pretty simple, just a 4 or 5 inch piece of 1/2" pvc and a piece of aquaclear sponge filter insert cut into a square (the ac110 filters are perfect for this.

You can drill holes in the end of the PVC if you want, but you don't necessarily have to.

I cut a small hole in the filter sponge so that I can slide the PVC tube down into the center of it. I also use a drill and put an angled hole near the top of the PVC tube to slide the airline into. If you drill it at an angle it helps keep the piece of airline in place without having to secure it.

As far as weighting them goes, siliconing a piece of slate works, but i have noticed if you squeeze all of the air out of the sponge it will eventually sink on its own.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I noticed that some people drill holes in their 1 inch tube(chimney) but stock ones dont have any holes? Whats the difference with the holes? Does it change anything?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

Some filters have the holes, some dont. If you are talking about the ones that are on the bottom covered by the sponge, I would think that with the holes in it, it'd allow water to be sucked in through them also, rather than just through the bottom. So it could definitely help, but I don't know just how much.

Tags
filter, filters, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com