Sponge or no sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

localhost

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, while reading this <<thread>>, I decided to purchase a sponge for my coral beauty. I then started investigating the species to discover that there is conflicting information as to whether it is safe of not for an aquarium. Some sites say they are guaranteed to die and will release a bad toxin into the water and kill pretty much everything. Other places say they are fine.

I think it is a red wall sponge but not sure, any info would be appreciated. Should I remove it ASAP or will it be ok? Also, according to LFS, to the best of his knowledge, the sponge had never been exposed to air. He bagged it underwater and I put it into my tank underwater.

Attachments

• sponge_119.jpg
    sponge_119.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 48
I guess it depends on whether you think you can keep it alive. I'd do all the homework I could and depending on your set-up of water-quality/light/flow make a decision on whether you could sustain it. I don't have much experience with sponges. But I think it looks cool :wink: I also don't think your angel really *needs* it to stay alive and healthy. Good luck.

Some sites say they are guaranteed to die and will release a bad toxin into the water and kill pretty much everything. Other places say they are fine.

Sponges are fairly hard to keep. Some, if not most, are all but impossible for hobbyist to keep long term. Although some that "hitchhike" in on LR are capable of adapting to aquarium life, the vast majority are not. They require a varied diet of planktons in a fairly limited size range(measured in microns). Many also favor low light conditions ie. under rock ledges etc. Long term survival would require target feedings w/ the proper food assuming one is available for that paricular sponge. That would also bring up another issue. Maintaining water quality w/ such demanding filter feeders is fairly difficult. FWIW the dwarf angels are generally more hardy than the larger ones, and there are foods w/ sponge matter in them made specifically for angels and the like. Ocean Nutrition makes one. HTH and best of luck :wink:

Back
Top Bottom