Sponge pre filters for HOBs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just found these as add on sponge filters for HOBs. It fits all cylindrical intake tubes. Protects against fry being sucked up. Also adds more surface area for beneficial bacteria to homestead. I will report when they come in and provide pics. I have been hunting for them for a while. If you want to know from where I ordered them, PM me.

Attachments

• filtermax32tn.jpg
    filtermax32tn.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,203
What filter are you putting them on?

IMO the AC110 needs one in the box, every one of them should have it. It makes no sense to have that much flow going through such a tiny, crappy intake strainer.

Putting one each on a AC50 and 70. Swords are about to have babies and don't want them to get sucked in, only have one tank.

+1

Pretty cool add on and please let us know how well it works.

IMO a prefilter for normal use kinda defeats the purpose/design of a filter system (HOB or can), but for fry I like the idea.

I second using the AC sponge. Its coarse larger cell holes don't restrict flow as much. You can cut 2 or three inlet tube filters with one block of it.
But you can't go wrong with what you ordered either. Its all good.

Mr. Limpet said:
+1

Pretty cool add on and please let us know how well it works.

IMO a prefilter for normal use kinda defeats the purpose/design of a filter system (HOB or can), but for fry I like the idea.

Will do and thanks

I just cut up pieces off of a pair of my cheap, clean panty hose to cover the intakes for my HOBs in fry tanks and my shrimp tank.

I purposely buy a pack of the cheap ones just for these occasions. :)

Last edited:
DragonFish71 said:
I just cut up pieces off of a pair of my cheap, clean panty hose to cover the intakes for my HOBs in fry tanks and my shrimp tank.

I purposely buy a pack of the cheap ones just for these occasions. :)

Yea I just wanted to try something I haven't heard of before and report to the members here on its usefulness.

The pre filters arrived today. Shipped on Saturday, same day I ordered them and arrived on Tuesday. Not bad from Oregon to Virginia via USPS. Here are the pics of them installed. They hooked up to the AC70 and AC50 in less than 3 minutes total. They are going to take some getting used to, but function over form. I wanna be a fish keeper first and foremost. While I was putting them on, noticed a couple of Swordtail fry swimming around. Hope they make it. Anyway, I realize the panty hose idea and the filter sponges work, but when I get a grow out tank, I can transfer one of these to it and help cycle it pretty fast. Hope this helps someone one of these days....Happy fish keeping folks. Oh by the way, the 1st pic is of the 50, Second is of the 70 and a full tank last.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110628_232352.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110628_232352.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 183
  • ForumRunner_20110628_232408.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110628_232408.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 187
  • ForumRunner_20110628_232422.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110628_232422.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
This is of the little green Sword tails, Severum Mama and HN1, thanks for sending good fish to me!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110628_233025.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110628_233025.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
My tank has never been clearer. I think I am going to make a preliminary recommendation for these pre filters. The Max III is what I am using, and have noticed no loss of flow rate either.

I assume they fit on the intake of a canister filter too? The blue media I've got wrapped around my intake with a rubber band looks horrid...but without it my RCS think that the inside of my canister is their second home.

Yes

I assume they fit on the intake of a canister filter too? The blue media I've got wrapped around my intake with a rubber band looks horrid...but without it my RCS think that the inside of my canister is their second home.

They advertise that they fit on canister intakes too. Can be mounted either horizontal or vertical, 6 bucks, but shipping is nine... Check it out and see if you like it, I linked their website. Nice folks. I recommend the Max III.

If you go with filter sponge material it stays on there by itself and doesn't clog nearly as easily.

I keep one on my shrimp tanks and they only need to be squeezed out once a week, simple process, slip it off squeeze them out, slip it back on.

Octopus

Eric, I still have the octopus in there!

If you go with filter sponge material it stays on there by itself and doesn't clog nearly as easily.

I keep one on my shrimp tanks and they only need to be squeezed out once a week, simple process, slip it off squeeze them out, slip it back on.

That's actually what I'm using, it's just not appealing to the eye. I've got to keep my eye open for a sheet of black media, at least that way it would blend into my background as opposed to the bright blue.

Back
Top Bottom