Spray bar position, what is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my spray bar flowing across the length of my tank. Just slightly above the water level to agitate the surface.

Is this correct?

I have seen pics with it spraying from the back to front.
Or 2 inches above the water.
Or an inch below the water but pointing up....?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463714841.730221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's not a thread. It's a novel. Lol

I am far to ADHD to read it. I got through the first two pages and the point seems to be: put it where you minimize or eliminate areas with low flow. But I still didn't understand if it is best above, at or below the surface slightly.

That's not a thread. It's a novel. Lol

I am far to ADHD to read it. I got through the first two pages and the point seems to be: put it where you minimize or eliminate areas with low flow. But I still didn't understand if it is best above, at or below the surface slightly.

IMO, personal preference unless you're trying to accomplish something. Suppose knowing what you need to accomplish will be the difficult thing. :D

Surface agitation increases oxygen exchange.
Do you like waterfall noise? Or quiet ? Place bar above/below water line.
Are you trying to eliminate "dead spots". ie, areas with low/no current.

For my High Tech, Co2 tank, EI daily dosing, High light, I had the bar below water line, not pointed at the surface, for maximum current along entire tank, with the least amount of surface agitation.

Thanks. I have a canister filter and one bubble wand. I like quiet but I worried that the fish need more air. So I have the surface moving.

Am I wrong and I could go for quiet?!??

Thanks. I have a canister filter and one bubble wand. I like quiet but I worried that the fish need more air. So I have the surface moving.

Am I wrong and I could go for quiet?!??

Are you growing plants? A nice ripple will help with surface gas exchange but disrupting the surface will result in an out gassing of co2 which is not desirable for most people. Healthy plant mass will provide more oxygen than can be added via surface agitation.

If no co2 then I would gently disrupt the surface to allow oxygen and co2 to enter the water.

I would link another useful thread about oxygenation but there's no point if you are not going to read it ?

Hope this helps.

I have plants. So I might be good with discouraging the surface gas exchange? I am going to submerge the bar and keep a close eye on things.

Thanks for your help and patience in light of my abesnce of it.

I have plants. So I might be good with discouraging the surface gas exchange? I am going to submerge the bar and keep a close eye on things.

Thanks for your help and patience in light of my abesnce of it.

This is a hot topic really. If you don't use co2 gas injection then the co2 will be produced by respiration and metabolic breakdown of organics via microorganisms. Normally the amount of co2 in the water column is greater than the equilibrium value with air but if you have lots of plants this supply can easily be depleted in a few hours after lights on which results in a lack of co2 and plants start to suffer. Suffering plants then begin to contribute to the low oxygen levels in tanks that do not offer good surface agitation. Therefore it is a good thing to provide good surface ripple even breaking the surface to allow better gas exchange and provide good flow rate and distribution to move oxygen around the tank and to the filter. The bacterial processes have a large demand on the oxygen content of the water and the more decaying organics the greater the biological oxygen demand (BOD) so you will want to keep the tank clean. Breaking the water surface gently will allow a small but constant supply of both oxygen and co2 in to the aquarium for the plants and for the bacteria to efficiently carry out their biological process which again will benefit plants and Ecosystem. When there is a lack of oxygen the bacteria have to obtain other less desirable electron acceptors like sulphates. These low oxygen areas are bad for plant roots and bacteria and the ecosystem as a whole.

Gently position your spraybar towards the surface just below the water line.

Nice. If the noise becomes annoying just lower it a touch until it stops.

My java fern is coming back from an aggressive salt dip while war was waged upon the pink ramshorn snails. The Anubis is doing well but seems to be a little upset about the new LED lighting (2 weeks ago) there is a little burn on the leaves. The Argentine sword has a little browning too. All of the mosses are growing well. The corkscrew val and the other miscellaneous plants all seem to be growing well.
I'm just keeping an eye on them. Problem with mystery snails is they eat anything that isn't healthy so I really have to inspect well and often. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463768610.475095.jpg

See how you get on with the new spraybar location. It might take a couple of weeks to see an improvement but I fear the LED light may add to the problem. More light drives the uptake requirement of carbon and nutrients higher so if you see no improvement in a couple of weeks it's time to start thinking about liquid carbon of lowering the light intensity.

I have been hearing about the liquid Co2. Fluval Excel right?! I am sure there are other brands but this one is the most posted.

I have my paypal account handy if needed. But I try to avoid chemicals unless critical.

Back
Top Bottom