Squeezing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephpartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a question please:) I am new to this beautiful aquatic world and my question is if I clean my filter media in the unused tank water do you squeeze the media or just swoosh back and forth? :fish2:

Thank you for any help

I usually just swoosh/shake it. But I do that in the water I just removed from a water change. You are going to throw that water out anyway (although some water their houseplants with it).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello I have a question please:) I am new to this beautiful aquatic world and my question is if I clean my filter media in the unused tank water do you squeeze the media or just swoosh back and forth? :fish2:

I squeeze out the sponge into the bucket of old tank water and swish the biomedia around in it a bit.

And yes, old tank water is good plant food. :)

Thank you

I squeeze out the sponge into the bucket of old tank water and swish the biomedia around in it a bit.

And yes, old tank water is good plant food. :)

Thank you so much for the information:) That is exactly what I did in the water from a change. I was just a bit concerned that I squeezed out all the good bacteria. I now know that isn't true and feel much better. I didn't want to cause another cycle. Have a great day:thanks:

Great info

I usually just swoosh/shake it. But I do that in the water I just removed from a water change. You are going to throw that water out anyway (although some water their houseplants with it).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much for replying!! I did use the water from a water change, I should have been more specific:) It is a relief to know that I did not destroy my bacteria colony. I will definitely use the old water for my plants...Hope you enjoy your day:flowers:

Personally, I squeeze it. More recently, I've started tapping them against the bathtub because that seems to be the only way to get some of the solid waste free. I haven't noticed any problems in terms of water quality or changes in behavior of the fish

Back
Top Bottom