stand for 100 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I am being given a 100gal aquarium with Koi. I need a stand for it. Can I just buy a sturdy, perhaps dresser of some type? Would like to have it in the kitchen and use the stand for kitchen storage.:confused:

gin said:
Hi,
I am being given a 100gal aquarium with Koi. I need a stand for it. Can I just buy a sturdy, perhaps dresser of some type? Would like to have it in the kitchen and use the stand for kitchen storage.:confused:

100 gallons of water is going to weight about 850lbs, plus the tank, plus gravel, etc. IMO you're looking at supporting close to 1,000lbs (round about) and I'm not sure a dresser is going to support that kind of weight.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I just set up a 100g myself and agree with Mr. Limpet . IMO youre going to want a proper stand for it. With substrate and live rock my tank weighs 1100 lbs

:)

:( Guess I need to do some research! Won't have the opportunity to build one myself. The people that are giving this tank to me have it on old wooden boxes right now. I do have a Petco and Petsmart in town. Think this is going to cost big money if I want one with kitchen storage in it. I have a 20 gal on a dresser right now and works well. Is there something on this website that will explain a little more what requirements a 100 gal. tank needs w pictures?

gin said:
:( Guess I need to do some research! Won't have the opportunity to build one myself. The people that are giving this tank to me have it on old wooden boxes right now. I do have a Petco and Petsmart in town. Think this is going to cost big money if I want one with kitchen storage in it. I have a 20 gal on a dresser right now and works well. Is there something on this website that will explain a little more what requirements a 100 gal. tank needs w pictures?

IHMO you should google 100g aquarium/tank stand (something like that) and see what comes up, once you have an idea of what's right, hit the shopping tab, or look on craigslist.

I was told it was a 100 gal. They now gave me the dimentions. It is 4 feet long, 12.5" deep and 23.5" high. That would appear to be a 60 gal. tank, not 100? Would a sturdy low dresser or buffet handle a 60 gal. tank? Also, Do I need to be careful where I put it as far as going through the floor? I want to do this the right way.

gin said:
I was told it was a 100 gal. They now gave me the dimentions. It is 4 feet long, 12.5" deep and 23.5" high. That would appear to be a 60 gal. tank, not 100? Would a sturdy low dresser or buffet handle a 60 gal. tank? Also, Do I need to be careful where I put it as far as going through the floor? I want to do this the right way.

You're still looking at 500lbs for the water alone, plus the weight of the tank, gravel, etc. IME a dresser probably won't hold, let's say 600+ lbs (?).

Is there a bespoke kitchen or bedroom showroom/shop/factory close by? I work for a kitchen company and my boss n me r building a stand for my new 100g and we will be building it with double thick gables and double thickness strengtheners and a double thick back to take the weight I'm sure if u can explain this to a local company or maybe a joiner/carpenter they cud help u out???

To calculate the gallons in a square or rectangular tank, multiply the length times the height times the width in inches and then divide by 231. That will give you the exact gallons. Multiply the gallons by 8.35 pounds to give you the weight of the water itself. According to the dimensions you gave, your tank holds 61 gallons and weighs 510 pounds, water only.

Back
Top Bottom