Stand/Tank question (weight distribution)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sup everyone. I didn't notice this when I purchased the stand. The sides don't have this issue; this is along the middle. Should I buy a thick piece of wood to rest on the top of the stand? The stand is hollow down the middle and just has four rims to rest on. In this pic you can see a small gap between the bottom rim of the tank and the top of the stand. Issue waiting to happen, yeah? Thanks in advance for the advice!

img_1323048_0_8ab06513a858d90a50cb3f53c29e4093.jpg

Either way it's no issue, I'll just drive over to Home Depot and have them cut me some 2x4s I guess. Can I just lay them across the top?

I wouldn't do 2x4's... I'd do a sheet of plywood. All my stands are 'hollow', in that only the 4 edges of the tank sit on it. But... they don't have gaps. Could it possibly be that without the pressure of the tank pressing down, its just appearing that way? I don't know. But, I think you're right in wanting to put something under it.

I went ahead and actually got 2x3's. I was contemplating plywood, but oh well. It probably is just appearing that way, but I'd feel safe having even support on all edges. Does the 2x3 vs plywood make a difference?

Alright, pretty annoyed. The guy cut the dang things too short. He cut them 4 feet when I told him 4 feet and .5 inches. Now we're back to what I was worried about. The only way we found any use of them is when we do this below, but you can't do that, right? Ugh. If not, I'll just set up the tank and just hope it's like that because there is no weight in the tank.

img_1323418_0_1d0566027ea1db4b74b7c2ae3e0e40c2.jpg

No, that won't work.. All 4 sides need to be touching. Do you have 4 pieces? You can do one on each side and just use one going front to back on each side to compensate for the short pieces going side to side. Make sense?

No, that won't work.. All 4 sides need to be touching. Do you have 4 pieces? You can do one on each side and just use one going front to back on each side to compensate for the short pieces going side to side. Make sense?

We had four pieces cut so that they could be laid out along the length of the stand. Those are actually all four pieces, stacked two high. :-(.

Alright Jon, me and my bro went hunting for some place that sold saws. We got one for 4 bucks and it snapped after hitting the halfway mark. Now my bro went out to go pick up the $1 one that, for some reason, looked better. This is giving me a headache! Haha..but, regardless, your idea will work perfectly.

haha... you just have the worst luck. I think this will be the solution, though I do hope someone else chimes in to agree... or possibly add a better suggestion.

K, here's what we did. It's even all around. The front wood piece is still weird on top of the actual stand, but I think with the weight, and so long as the tank itself is evenly on a wood piece all around, it should be good.

img_1324601_0_0e88c92f7305daa4fbcc8075f6125980.jpg

Back
Top Bottom