stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so move this if its in the wrong spot.

anyways im getting a stand for my bday (next month) xP . its a oak stand for a 55gal. I have a metal one now that makes me nervous. how do I go about switching them?

I was thinking about doing a 50% water change. move the fish in buckets. keep the gravel the tank since im not moving far. take the rock/driftwood out(duh). will this throw off the bacteria? is there a better way?

You have to take everything out of the tank to move it. The bottom glass is not made to support weight. You will end up cracking the tank if you try and move it with stuff inside.

Tomchong22 said:
You have to take everything out of the tank to move it. The bottom glass is not made to support weight. You will end up cracking the tank if you try and move it with stuff inside.

I mean I will take all the water out but save 50% of it. it will still crack with the gravel in it?

Depends how much you have in there. I would say if it is under 100lbs you should be safe. Anything more then I would not do it. In my 60 gall reef I have around 80ish lbs of sand, if you add water weight to it you are looking around 150 ish or more.

Think about how much money you have spent on your tank. Now picture all the sand/gravel and the little bit of water thats left on the floor. Do you like what you see?

you could try getting a piece of plywood and slipping it under the tank and use that as the support to carry it 3/4 should do

You would be best to start with the tank completely empty, in case you need to shim the stand. It is a good opportunity to get the gravel a little cleaner using the old tank water.

As long as your filter media doesn't dry out your bacteria will be fine. you will probably see a small spike in ammonia/nitrite but it will go away quickly.

TT71 said:
Think about how much money you have spent on your tank. Now picture all the sand/gravel and the little bit of water thats left on the floor. Do you like what you see?

**** Ill just take it all out then lol keep the substrate wet. its a used tank. and the smartest thing to do is to not risk it. ive broken a tank before. thankfully not with water just gravel.

there all tough they are all specificly engineered to hold the weight of he tank there made for.

I have a 180 on a 2X4 homemade stand, so a 55 on a stand designed for it should be no problem at all. I am glad you decided to empty the tank completely before you move it.

Back
Top Bottom