Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starphire? Which one? How much?

With the great advice on glass vs. acrylic I have decided on glass. After doing a little research I came across the "Starphire" glass. Seems pretty cool but does anyone have any recommendations on brand or amount of panes. I have had Oceanic before but if I read the description right only the front glass is starphire. I found the glasscages.com site and that they give you the option of front and sides being starphire but I am not familiar with their product or quality. Are their any other brands? If anyone can give any input I would appreciate it.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

As fara as I know PPG is the only maker of Starphire glass. Others may make a low iron content glass but can not use the trademarked name.
How big a tank are you building? I've heard that Starphire scratches more easily than glass which kind of puts it in the same category of acryllic. The difference in clarity to normal glass shown on the glass cages site is impressive.

If you are viewing mostly from the front then 1 pane would be all you need.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I looking at 75 - 90 gallons. After posting I also thought one pane may be adequate especially for a rectangular tank, but then again if this glass is so much clearer you wonder what a side view would look like.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Talking

When I mentioned brand I meant brand of tank. I hate to see the tank break for obvious reasons plus it is going into a room that I have had the hardwood floors refinished. I have been married for over 26 years and want to make it to 27.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Well GlassCages will make one for you, or you could check with Oceanic and other manufacturers to see if they make aquariums with this glass.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oceanic "Ultimate" series have a single pane of starphire glass. I am familiar with their quality but I am always interested in trying new products and that is why I was curious "Glass Cages". If anyone can give any input on their quality that would be great.

Tags
ich, starphire

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com