Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

starting an overstocked 75 g cichlid tank, is a single Rena XP2 enough?

I have never had a cichlid tank and just bought a 75 gallon to get things started. I would like to go overstocked with primarily mbunas for appearance and to cut aggression. I have a used Rena XP2 that is used (used to be for a sale tank but assume I can clean out well with hot water to reuse). Wondering what additional filtration I should have or need in addition? Probably another canister right, this way I can just run it inline after/before the Rena? How many power heads recommended for this size tank?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean by "overstocked?"

Sent from my iPhone

Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I mean I plan on adding more than the normal 1" per gallon as a lot of African Cichlid tank owners to to reduce aggression because distinct territories cannot be setup. Plus I prefer the look of more fish in a tank. I will plan on doing 1-2 25%-30% water changes weekly, but wondering what my filtration needs should be
Old 02-07-2015, 03:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a reason for that rule. The bioload will be too much if you overstock it.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-07-2015, 03:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You obviously aren't well versed in cichlid keeping at overstocking cichlids is a very common occurrence. It's not unheard of to have 30-35 fish in a 55-60 gallon tank. I have reposted on a CICHLID forum. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, I'm sorry.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-07-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't mean to sound rude.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I'm not a cichlid owner/keeper but I do know that filtration is paramount in that type of setup. As well as the elimination of dead spots. Most likely you will get recommendations for another canister filter or even a large HOB (Fluval/AquaClear 110). The only thing I would say about adding another canister in-line to the existing one is filter redundancy; if the primary filter fails then things are out of commission until a repair or replacement is available. I like the idea of a second functioning filter that can serve as a backup and it allows you to service one while running the other.
I found a listing of reviews for canister filters (nice long list). Thought I would share: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews....php?CatID=104

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the link to the filter reviews, I had not seen that before. I was considering the E he I'm 2217 or Fluval 306 or 406. Seems like the Eheim has the better rating of the 3, and move to see that the Rena XP2 that I got used is also rated over 8/10.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey Tim for a 75 gallon tank you want 10x water turnover or 750+ GPH filtration. I solely keep African cichlids at the moment. On my 72 bowfront I have a aquaclear 110 (hang on back) and a 500 gph canister. If you already have the XP2 I would use that along with a hang on back that you can put carbon or purigen quickly and easily into the filter. The XP2 alone will not be enough, its only rated at 300 GPH

overstocking is common to help keep aggression down. Instead of taking it out on one particular fish it is spread out throughout the tank

Tags
cichlid, ich, overstock, overstocked, rena, star, start, starting, stock, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com