starting an overstocked 75 g cichlid tank, is a single Rena XP2 enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimTheWiner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have never had a cichlid tank and just bought a 75 gallon to get things started. I would like to go overstocked with primarily mbunas for appearance and to cut aggression. I have a used Rena XP2 that is used (used to be for a sale tank but assume I can clean out well with hot water to reuse). Wondering what additional filtration I should have or need in addition? Probably another canister right, this way I can just run it inline after/before the Rena? How many power heads recommended for this size tank?

I mean I plan on adding more than the normal 1" per gallon as a lot of African Cichlid tank owners to to reduce aggression because distinct territories cannot be setup. Plus I prefer the look of more fish in a tank. I will plan on doing 1-2 25%-30% water changes weekly, but wondering what my filtration needs should be

There is a reason for that rule. The bioload will be too much if you overstock it.

Sent from my iPhone

You obviously aren't well versed in cichlid keeping at overstocking cichlids is a very common occurrence. It's not unheard of to have 30-35 fish in a 55-60 gallon tank. I have reposted on a CICHLID forum. Thank you.

I'm not a cichlid owner/keeper but I do know that filtration is paramount in that type of setup. As well as the elimination of dead spots. Most likely you will get recommendations for another canister filter or even a large HOB (Fluval/AquaClear 110). The only thing I would say about adding another canister in-line to the existing one is filter redundancy; if the primary filter fails then things are out of commission until a repair or replacement is available. I like the idea of a second functioning filter that can serve as a backup and it allows you to service one while running the other.
I found a listing of reviews for canister filters (nice long list). Thought I would share: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/category_display.php?CatID=104

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the link to the filter reviews, I had not seen that before. I was considering the E he I'm 2217 or Fluval 306 or 406. Seems like the Eheim has the better rating of the 3, and move to see that the Rena XP2 that I got used is also rated over 8/10.

hey Tim for a 75 gallon tank you want 10x water turnover or 750+ GPH filtration. I solely keep African cichlids at the moment. On my 72 bowfront I have a aquaclear 110 (hang on back) and a 500 gph canister. If you already have the XP2 I would use that along with a hang on back that you can put carbon or purigen quickly and easily into the filter. The XP2 alone will not be enough, its only rated at 300 GPH

overstocking is common to help keep aggression down. Instead of taking it out on one particular fish it is spread out throughout the tank

Wow! 10 flow, but sounds good. Why is a HOB so popular additional filtration rather than another canister? I know the AC110 is a good unit for the price, but just assumed 2 canisters would be better.

Wow! 10 flow, but sounds good. Why is a HOB so popular additional filtration rather than another canister? I know the AC110 is a good unit for the price, but just assumed 2 canisters would be better.

Probably because cleaning the HOB is convenient compared to the canister. In some models (I think the Fluval C series) you can change the media while the filter is running.
10x? Ha! I'm running 15-20x in my planted tank.

canisters are a pain in the butt to clean. The hang on backs you can add carbon or purigen in 10 seconds if you wanted to. I thought canisters would provide better filtration than the hang on backs but over the years I found out that's not the case, they both do the same thing. The one benefit of a canister is you can go longer without cleaning it. I have had 4 different canister filters now, and I am slowly phasing them out on all my tanks, not worth the hassle..of course this is just my opinion

Probably because cleaning the HOB is convenient compared to the canister. In some models (I think the Fluval C series) you can change the media while the filter is running.
10x? Ha! I'm running 15-20x in my planted tank.

what size tank and what filters do you run?

if you don't mind me asking

I don't mind. It's a 20g long heavily planted with two AquaClear 50s. I modded the filter output so there is no splash.
The AC50s (each) have a gph of 150-200 I believe.

I don't mind. It's a 20g long heavily planted with two AquaClear 50s. I modded the filter output so there is no splash.
The AC50s (each) have a gph of 150-200 I believe.

yea they are rated at 200gph but I think they always overestimate the flow rate. That's alot of filtration on a 20 gallon tank, it doesn't put out too much current?

I'm curious how you modded the output because my 110 produces micro bubbles and i'm looking for a more polished look to the water.

You would think it is a lot of flow but it is spread out and the plants and fish are not being tossed around.
Here is a post on another thread from March 2013:
Even after raising the water level, is the filter's waterfall lip at or below the water surface level?

If not then I'd suggest adding a lip extension. I have posted this in other threads but can't figure out how to paste links using the mobile app. Basically you are cutting a piece of the plastic strip that comes with all glass canopies to the width of the lip. The plastic strip is then bent in a way to redirect the water flow to be parallel with the surface. Note: The thinner plastic strips (MarineLand) are much easier cut/work with (Compared to Aqueon). See the pics and hope this helps:
View attachment 158282
View attachment 158283
View attachment 158284

is that the plastic piece that comes with the glass versa tops? If so I have a piece laying around somewhere and I may try this.. unfortunately it's prob the thicker aqueon

I'm not a cichlid owner/keeper but I do know that filtration is paramount in that type of setup. As well as the elimination of dead spots. Most likely you will get recommendations for another canister filter or even a large HOB (Fluval/AquaClear 110). The only thing I would say about adding another canister in-line to the existing one is filter redundancy; if the primary filter fails then things are out of commission until a repair or replacement is available. I like the idea of a second functioning filter that can serve as a backup and it allows you to service one while running the other.
I found a listing of reviews for canister filters (nice long list). Thought I would share: Aquarium Product and Retailer Reviews

I would just FX6 the sucker, but the 110 is a beast I got it and it flows like double what the 70 and C4 do.

Thanks for the link to the filter reviews, I had not seen that before. I was considering the E he I'm 2217 or Fluval 306 or 406. Seems like the Eheim has the better rating of the 3, and move to see that the Rena XP2 that I got used is also rated over 8/10.

The 110 is easy to throw different media in and out and flows a lot, I also use the flow to put food into in my 150XT, probably not the best idea in a 75g but in the XT it blasts the food all over so everyone gets some, otherwise the rainbows just eat it all off the surface.

Just saying that I'm in the don't overstock croud, I know its a Mbuna thing but I just find it easier to understock and over filter and set up biotope type setups rather than constantly monitoring an over stocked tank.

Back
Top Bottom