Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Starting New Tank - Need Filter Suggestions

I am sloooowly starting the process of setting up a new tank. This will be my first, so beginner, freshwater fish will be the inhabitants. I bought a 20 gal tank and stand at a yard sale. It came with a hood and light, but no filter. So, what type of filter should I look at? I'm not made of money, but I want to look at better and best solutions, not just good solutions. I only want to do it once.

I like the idea of live plants, but I have not researched that yet. Does it change the filter requirements? Anything else that guides filter choice?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I would get an AC50 for that tank. Filter would only effect plants if you go with CO2. Then a HOB filter would cause surface agitation and loss of CO2 unless a high water level is maintained.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Marineland Bio- Wheels on all of my aquariums. I have one on my 20 gallon long planted, one on my 15 gallon cichlid, and two on my 20 gallon goldfish aquarium. They all work great. The specific models I'll have to look up if youre interested, because I don't know them off he top of my head :/ . A lot of other people use aquaclears, but i have no experience using them, but I'm sure someone else will comment with suggesting them
Old 05-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also vote for an aqua clear 50. best filters I have ever owned for the last 15 years lol.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the quick replies. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Is using one filter typical for this size tank? Are they reliable enough not to need redundancy?

Mike
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could use one or two. I use a filter that's rated for 50gallons on my 20 long. And two each rated for 20 gallons on my 20 high. It's usually a matter of preference u think
Old 05-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

AC50 is a great filter and having that with a second one doesn't hurt either. If you ever need to setup a QT for new or sick fish, you'll be able to instantly cycle it. BTW, a sturdy clear plastic bin makes an excellent QT.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great info. Much appreciated.

Mike

Tags
filter, starting, suggestions, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com