Starting SW (hopefully)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadgetguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I believe I am finally ready to take the plunge into SW after having FW for about a year. I have a sump built but I was wondering what kind of pump should be used to bring the water back up to the tank. I would like it as cheap as possible. The tank is about 50 gallons. Any suggestions would be great.

Well that all depends on the GPH of the overflow. Had a configuration in mind? Drilled/Syphon/HOB?

Another question. What's the easiest way to have an overflow without drilling my tank?

I think what I'm going to take an old HOB filter and hang it inside the tank. I will cut teeth around the sides and make a box out of acrylic to hang on the back and the water will flow out from the filter box inside the tank.

There are pretty much 2 options, DIY syphon and HOB box/DIY HOB box.

If you dont want to build you can go with something like this, and I would suppliment flow with a CL system, maybe even with a SCWD.

Or you can get the same CPR box rated at 600gph and T it off for 2 returns and add a powerhead somewhere if needed depending on what return you use.

Or

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

Are you looking for FOWLR or Reef?

I guess you could say that...anything can go wrong in any type of tank IMO.

If you go with 300gph through the sump I would go for a mag5, and if you do 600gph I would get a mag9 and t it off back into the sump with a ball valve.

I personally order from marinedepot.com frequently, there is also http://www.drsfostersmith.com

Also before you jump in, while I am confident with my pump recommendation...I am not the all seeing eye here. Best thing to do IMO would be to hear some others opinions.

There are a few calculations when determining the size of pump required. I agree with Marc's response. Mags are considered good pumps and those two models will match the listed overflow rates. Premiumaquatics also sells these pumps. I would also check them out as they offer a better price on them.

Back
Top Bottom